Note from Washington Scuba Alliance

General banter about diving and why we love it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Note from Washington Scuba Alliance

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
A friend forwarded me this note From Washington Scuba Alliance. Thought I'd post it here incase you missed it.

Thanks WSA!!

=---
Happy New Year!

WSA is off and running in 2014. Permitting is in progress for the artificial reef at Camano Island State Park. Additional surveys both on shore and underwater has been done there. We feel very confident that we will create a wonderful dive attraction at this location.

Three members of WSA will be meeting with Peter Goldmark next week to get to know each other. We will share with the head of the Department of Natural Resources what we are all about. We also want to find out his views on artificial reefing and diver involvement in our continued conservation efforts of monitoring and improving our aquatic resources.

Also, we are looking for funding to complete the final five mooring buoys in Puget Sound and Hood Canal. The locations are 3 in Hood Canal - Flagpole, Arrowhead, Black Point - 2 in Sound Sound at Dalco Wall. We lose the permits to install the buoys in May. Please consider donating to the project in protecting our great dive sites from anchor damage. $3,200.00 for each buoy.

We are also continuing to improve our existing dive sites by working with state agencies to get the work done

Last and certainly on least is the Dive Expo coming up in April.
We will once again be doing a silent auction to help fund our organization. We need a volunteer to step forward and help us make sure that we can get great prizes and make sure the program runs smoothly. This year we will be sharing the gathered funds with The California Ships to Reefs organization. Please consider our request for a successful auction this year.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Re: Note from Washington Scuba Alliance

Post by Don-B »

YellowEye wrote: Also, we are looking for funding to complete the final five mooring buoys in Puget Sound and Hood Canal. The locations are 3 in Hood Canal - Flagpole, Arrowhead, Black Point - 2 in Sound Sound at Dalco Wall. We lose the permits to install the buoys in May. Please consider donating to the project in protecting our great dive sites from anchor damage. $3,200.00 for each buoy.
I should probably get out my wallet and give them some $$ since I frequently use the buoys.
But Flagpole? They have one there already.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

??? there putting a buoy at onamac reef ? or the state is going to build a new reef somewhere on camano.. the wsa should be looking at saving the crab at mukilteo, and putting in a reef there, I've had no luck with dept of fish and wildlife in mill creek about the fuel dock and the eco impact it's going to cause
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

I don't know much about WSA, perhaps somebody else on the board does.

The following was on their facebook page:

Washington State Parks has again asked us to help them with artificial reefs in their parks. This has created a lot of interest and the site that we have chosen is Camano Island State Park. We have done beach surveys and picked out a fabulous spot for a new reef. The plan is to use quarried rock and reef balls. The permitting has started. Stay tuned and look for WSA to speak at your local dive club to update you.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Janna is on the board of WSA or was anyway.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

ok, thanks for the clarification...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

here's the link if you want to donate:

http://www.wascuba.org/donate.htm
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

Do you have a link for info on the artificial reef layout? I dive the park once in a while. Is it going to be by the boat launch or off the other beach? Boat launch is a shorter walk for divers but I could see them going to the other beach for safety.
This is my backyard almost. I'd like to know more about it. It would be cool to photo journal it's growth.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi MJ
I'm not sure if anybody from WSA is on this website, you may want to ask your question on their webpage or facebook page. Do let us know if you find anything!