Fukushima theory gaining traction?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Fukushima theory gaining traction?

Post by Jeremy »

Looking at this prediction of waterborne radiation hitting the US West coast in 2014:
http://t.nbcnews.com/science/fukushimas ... 8C11050755

It looks like the PNW is dead in the crosshairs.

Then today I read that amateur Geiger counter readings in San Fransisco are way above safe levels.

Days after a YouTube video emerged showing background radiation at a Coastside beach reaching over 150 micro-REM per hour, Health officials in San Mateo County confirmed the spike but said they were “befuddled” as to its cause.

However, officials dismissed the possibility that the readings could be linked to Fukushima radiation reaching the west coast despite forecasts by experts last summer that radioactive particles from Fukushima would reach U.S. coastal waters in 2014

The video shows a man measuring radiation readings at different spots on a beach south of Pillar Point Harbor. Background radiation in the areas immediately surrounding the beach are normal, but once the man approaches the water itself, the radiation spikes to at least 500 per cent safe levels and the Geiger counter’s alarm goes off.
http://www.infowars.com/has-fukushimas- ... alifornia/

I was skeptical of this theory as a cause for the starfish disintegrations....but now think there might be some legs to it.
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Re: Fukushima theory gaining traction?

Post by AdrianSmith »

No. No no no no no. Again, no.

Please try to exercise critical thinking and look at SCIENCE, not pseudobabble and superstition.

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/10/28/mor ... -debunked/
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

And this:

http://boingboing.net/2014/01/06/no-fuk ... ing-o.html

HARD science reporting that demonstrates that the fearmongers writing stories about the radiation dangers to the Wes coast from Fukushima are full of garbage.

-Adrian
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

AdrianSmith wrote:No. No no no no no. Again, no.
Opposite day on the when Harry met Sally set?
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Jeremy wrote: Opposite day on the when Harry met Sally set?
Agree!!!!
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
lynchpit2
Avid Diver

Post by lynchpit2 »

I sent a message to a company, Stanford Dosimetry, asking about their Dosimeters to wear while diving to see if there was any radiation in the water I was diving in.
Here was his reaction to the inquiry.

"Nope, it doesn't. (have radiation)
Our badges will pick up external radiation dose as low as 10 mrem (annual safe limit = 5000)
There is radioactivity in the Pacific. The contribution from Fukushima is a tiny fraction of what is there naturally (and from weapons testing) already. Labs can measure the signature elements from Fukushima, but there is no measurable increase in dose.
Wearing a badge would be a waste of money. All states are participating in monitoring increases in radioactivity and dose from Fukushima. You can find more from the NRC, or WA dept of env.

Sincerely,
Neill Stanford,CHP"

This is from someone that could make a lot of money from people like me wanting to test the area I am in for radiation. You would think he would be all over taking this as an opportunity to line his pockets, instead he say's, you would be wasting your money.

Then there is this story. http://www.infowars.com/1400-radiation- ... sco-beach/

In it they tested samples of soil in the area that had the high radiation readings and found no evidence of cesium-137, that would need to be present for the radiation to have come from Fukushima.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Interesting.

Sounds like a major cover up is taking place...

It doesn't matter if starfish start dying by the millions and that we are downstream from a major nuclear catastrophe...the sheeple will just keep watching the teevee, drinking their fluoride water, and chowing down on their GMO corn imo..
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Jeremy wrote:Interesting.

Sounds like a major cover up is taking place...

It doesn't matter if starfish start dying by the millions and that we are downstream from a major nuclear catastrophe...the sheeple will just keep watching the teevee, drinking their fluoride water, and chowing down on their GMO corn imo..
So...get a dosimeter, dive and tell us what the readings are.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

Gee, I wonder who I should believe? The guy who's business would profit from a Fukushima hysteria, but chooses not to; or the guy who would personally profit from a Fukushima hysteria, and throws gasoline on the flames?

http://www.dailypaul.com/303251/fukushi ... gy-we-have
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

If you're worried about Fukushima, you'd better take down the smoke detectors in your house, move to a concrete-free building, and stop eating bananas. They all have orders of magnitude more radioactivity than you'll ever get from Fukushima.
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

cofford wrote:If you're worried about Fukushima, you'd better take down the smoke detectors in your house, move to a concrete-free building, and stop eating bananas. They all have orders of magnitude more radioactivity than you'll ever get from Fukushima.
Oh GREAT!!!!

*throws bananas at smoke detectors
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

cofford wrote:If you're worried about Fukushima, you'd better take down the smoke detectors in your house, move to a concrete-free building, and stop eating bananas. They all have orders of magnitude more radioactivity than you'll ever get from Fukushima.
lol

Smoke detectors and bananas don't kill millions of starfish bro
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

Jeremy wrote:
lol

The sea star (not "starfish" - they're not fish) dieoff last happened in 1983 and 1984. Are you going to claim that Fukushima radiation time travels as well?

-Adrian
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

AdrianSmith wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
lol

The sea star (not "starfish" - they're not fish) dieoff last happened in 1983 and 1984. Are you going to claim that Fukushima radiation time travels as well?

-Adrian
yes

*throws bananas at time machine
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Norris wrote:
AdrianSmith wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
lol

-Adrian
yes

*throws bananas at time machine
yes

* blows smoke at smoke detector
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

Jeremy wrote:
lol

Neither does Fukushima. Can you cite any scientific study that shows sea stars are unusually sensitive to radiation, so that mass die-off could occur without seeing any stress in other animals?