Great locations for divers and non-divers?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Great locations for divers and non-divers?

Post by ggthatcher »

Want to make a week long trip in the mid June timeframe.
There will be 2 divers, and one non-diver. The non-diver gets really sea-sick so boat activities are out.
We are looking for great locations to do great diving, but have something for my wife to do/see as well.

We would like something not like Hawaii. We've all been there, and the idea of something in Mexico or South America is much more appealing. Unless we determine that Hawaii really is the best place to get it all. Foreign is just more interesting to see and do things, IMHO. Not slamming Hawaii as I do love it there.

Ideas?
Considering Roatan or Utila in Honduras, but it looks like there isn't much to do there besides water stuff.
Belize or Cozumel seem nice.

Thanks
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Great locations for divers and non-divers?

Post by Jeff Pack »

Tahiti , Fiji , or rarotonga, all are good for diving and non diving
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Mexico is great and you have tons of non diver excursions in like Playa del carmen and for diving you have playa, cozumel and the cenotes.

If I take a family + diving vacation again with our little guy, wife and friends it will be Mexico.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+1 on Mexico. Cozumel is fun for both divers and non divers, as well as Riviera Maya.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

My sister is a non diver, and does a lot of vacation travel. Belize is one of her favorite destinations.

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I love the Riviera Maya, but the only "shore" diving would be the cenotes. Of course, the divers could go boat diving, and the non-diver could enjoy the sparkling white beaches, crystal water, perfect weather and the best margaritas in the world, and then you could all get together for afternoon/evening activities. And a day or two of cenotes would allow the non-diver to hang out with you, and snorkel in crystal clear water and watch the territorial displays of the pretty little cichlid fish.

Can you tell I love Mexico?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I love the Riviera Maya, but the only "shore" diving would be the cenotes. Of course, the divers could go boat diving, and the non-diver could enjoy the sparkling white beaches, crystal water, perfect weather and the best margaritas in the world, and then you could all get together for afternoon/evening activities. And a day or two of cenotes would allow the non-diver to hang out with you, and snorkel in crystal clear water and watch the territorial displays of the pretty little cichlid fish.

Can you tell I love Mexico?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

What type of activities does your wife like to do?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BillZ wrote:What type of activities does your wife like to do?
A really good question.

Perhaps John Rawlings can chime in on Bonaire, as he and Ginny just got back from there and Ginny is not a diver.

My opinion is pretty much worthless because I think everyone should go to Bonaire. :tomnic:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Frog
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Frog »

I don't think you can lose going to Cozumel or the Rivera Maya. The diving is lovely and there are so many other things to do like visiting the cenotes for swimming (or diving!!!), Mayan ruins, etc. Plus there are lots of cheapish flights into Cancun.
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Tahiti , Fiji are the est place for the diver and non diver and i think its both best place for you and all the visitor..