Fingerlees dive gloves

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
meex56
Frequent Bubbler

Fingerlees dive gloves

Post by meex56 »

Hello everyone,

I am looking for factory made fingerless dive gloves that are warm/thick enough for PNW waters (not even sure if they exist)

I have found a few posts of people making their own by just simply cutting off the tips and laying aqua seal over them to stop them from fraying. Anyone ever try this? If so would you recommend it?

Please let me know the advice you have on either way... Homemade or factory

Thanks again everyone
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Fingerlees dive gloves

Post by Desert Diver »

My advice is leave the fingers on.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Just out of curiosity, why do you want fingerless gloves for diving up here?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

meex56 wrote:Hello everyone,

I am looking for factory made fingerless dive gloves that are warm/thick enough for PNW waters (not even sure if they exist)

I have found a few posts of people making their own by just simply cutting off the tips and laying aqua seal over them to stop them from fraying. Anyone ever try this? If so would you recommend it?

Please let me know the advice you have on either way... Homemade or factory

Thanks again everyone

I'm going to go with Desert Diver and recommend keeping the fingers on for diving locally. Loss of dexterity from hands that are numb is a bigger liability than the loss of dexterity from gloves.

If you really want to try it though, just run a lighter quickly over the cut edges to prevent fraying.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

I agree with Nwbrewer. Personally, I wouldn't recommend cutting off the tips of your glove fingers. The resulting flushing of water would render the insulating ability of the gloves mostly useless. Cold numb hands are less effective than warmer clumsy hands.

The lack of dexterity using cold water gloves is something that you learn to deal with, and it becomes less of an issue the more you use them. Seasoft has a couple models of gloves that have different/thinner thickness of neoprene that covers the index finger, available in either 5/3mm, 3/1.5mm, or a 3/2/1mm configurations. I'd be leaning toward a thinner glove rather than a fingerless model.

Before I moved to dry gloves, I used one of the 5/3mm models. Having thinner neoprene covering my index finger was nice when trying to figure out how to operate my camera. I've learned to deal with the loss of dexterity now, and it's not as much an issue.
meex56
Frequent Bubbler

Post by meex56 »

spatman wrote:Just out of curiosity, why do you want fingerless gloves for diving up here?
I can use the thick Kevlar coated gloves I dive with currently but for tiying knots and rigging, it is extremely difficult

Again, easier with practice