SCUBA Up or Down Or?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

SCUBA Up or Down Or?

Post by ArcticDiver »

This thread was prompted by my observations on my last trip to Oahu all the Liveaboard "specials" ads I'm receiving and the NWDC Activity thread.

It seems to me that interest is generally down. Not nearly as many people dragging SCUBA gear around. Not as many dive company vans around. Companies out of business.

This is neither scientific nor comprehensive. But together these do raise a question.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: SCUBA Up or Down Or?

Post by BillZ »

The last numbers I saw from SSI three years ago indicated that the industry was flat - growing at about 1%- 3% a year. They base their numbers on new divers trained, so that may-or-may-not be the best indicator of the health of the industry.
With the economy sputtering along and diving being an expensive sport I think people are being more selective on how they spend their vacation dollars, opting to do cheaper activities like paddle boarding, hiking etc.
Just by rough observation, around here I'd say that the diving industry is grinding along neither growing or shrinking. We've lost some dive shops and gained others. One of the local charter captains told me that business has been about the same for the last few years.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Sort of a churn but stable overall is what I guess you are saying.

In other areas I'm familiar with folks who started diving when I did in 1999 are no longer involved. They have "moved on" to other hobbies. Some of that is a factor of age and some money. Mostly I think it is a cultural change.

How this affects NWDC I haven't a clue.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
mandible
Getting To Know Folks

Post by mandible »

recreational SCUBA as a hobby for the average citizen is probably on its way out, a slow death spiral that will end in a few decades unless things change. Increasing cost of oil, raw materials all contribute to how much free time and money people have. As a non-vital avocation, SCUBA will be on the chopping block.
I am a pessimist as you can tell, but things in the world don't seem to be on the up and up.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

mandible wrote:recreational SCUBA as a hobby for the average citizen is probably on its way out, a slow death spiral that will end in a few decades unless things change. Increasing cost of oil, raw materials all contribute to how much free time and money people have. As a non-vital avocation, SCUBA will be on the chopping block.
I am a pessimist as you can tell, but things in the world don't seem to be on the up and up.
Step away from the edge.......
Scuba may have reached its growth plateau but I doubt it's on a death spiral. Just like any other sport or activity there comes a point where it isn't as novel as at once was and it just continues on a steady pace. The same can be said for mountain biking, skiing, rock climbing, surfing etc.. Talking with local instructors people are still getting certified, gear is still being sold and divers are still getting out and diving, it's just not growing like it once was.