Paging Pickup Truck Owners!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Paging Pickup Truck Owners!

Post by Penopolypants »

Specifically, Toyota Tacoma owners, since that's what I have now (yay!), but anyone with experience with this is welcome to comment of course!

I have these bolts in my otherwise lined truck bed. They seem like a corrosion magnet, and/or an opportunity for salt water to leak through and wreak havoc. Am I being paranoid? If not, how did you avoid/mitigate any issues?

Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Paging Pickup Truck Owners!

Post by spatman »

Ditch the plastic liner and have the bed, including the bolts, covered with a spray-in liner. I used Line-X in mine and it was great.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mine are barely discolored after 4 years (Tundra owner). They seem to be zinc plated although not hot dipped. So I wouldn't worry about the bed bolts.

I am more worried about the tailgate than the bed bolts. Water easily gets inside the tailgate when its folded down. I try to rinse it periodically but could be more diligent.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

What Spatman said is the best option - the spray on liner also helps keep your gear from sliding around in the bed of your truck. If you want to keep the plastic liner you could also just buy a can of the protectant stuff and spray the bolts and any exposed metal.

Even with the plastic or spray on liner its still best to keep your gear in plastic tubs - saltwater has a way of trashing pickup beads, tailgates hinges etc.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have the same bolts on my ranger, the have some coating that seems to make them a non issue.

I will 2nd spatman though, go line-x.

To address Richard's issue with salt water getting behind the panel on the tailgate, I had the same thing, salt water ran in there, corroded everything, had to take it apart and clean/grease it. Since I felt like that kind of sucked I put a bead of silicone around the panel and under the bolt heads when I put it back together. Hasn't been an issue since.

I'll also recommend spraying off under the truck at the back when you get home. I was negligent on that, now I don't think I could get my trailer hitch out with hoist. It's basically permanently in there.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:I'll also recommend spraying off under the truck at the back when you get home. I was negligent on that, now I don't think I could get my trailer hitch out with hoist. It's basically permanently in there.
Rust - nature's Loctite.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

I've got Line-X on my bed, and I throw all kinds of stuff back there. Never a problem and tough as hell, I don't worry about rust, but should also be more diligent as CaptnJack suggested.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

spatman wrote:Rust - nature's Loctite.
+1 on the spray in liner. I had Lyntrux do mine and it has held up for 10 years and still looks good. Cant say the same for the tailgate though. The liner side is great but water gets in through the latches on the side and will eventually eat through. I might recommend what I did to the tailgate though. I had a sheet of aluminum cut to size to fit the top side and the popriveted it or before getting the liner sprayed. Thus I have a flat surface to sit things on rather than the stock anything but flat tailgate surface.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

As a Tacoma owner let me clear something up.
The plastic liner is your bed. There is no metal under it so you can't remove it .
You could still use a spray in liner but I have never seen anyone do it.The bed is very tough as is.
As for corrosion go's I wouldn't worry about it.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I got my truck Rhino Lined right after I bought it in 2006. I really use my truck for all kind of things and the years have taken it toll on the lining. I dont know if any of the Line X guys use theirs for hauling dirt, rocks and the like over the year but the Rhino Lining has taken a beating. You can look at mine any time you wish to compare to other spray on liners. If your not going to be doing alot of dirt and rock hauling I am sure Line X would be a great investment.
Jeff Castor
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Don-B wrote:As a Tacoma owner let me clear something up.
The plastic liner is your bed. There is no metal under it so you can't remove it .
You could still use a spray in liner but I have never seen anyone do it.The bed is very tough as is.
My 2003 Tacoma had a metal bed.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow that's something I didn't know. That would surely make me step back and take another look.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

spatman wrote:
My 2003 Tacoma had a metal bed.
Your right the 2004 and older were metal. In 2005 they changed the body style and the bed to plastic.
From the picture that was shown thats a newer style bed.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

It is a new model, with a backup camera in the tailgate, so something else to worry about corroding. I will have to be diligent in my rinsing. Good to know! Thanks for the info everybody!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

What, no pictures????? :(
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

I just bought a Tacoma too and bought the weathertech (sp?) liner for it. It has about a 2 inch lip all around the outside (except the tailgate) to contain any water brought in. It fits the Tacoma impeccably but is only available for the long bed.
Cheers!

Ron
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I've had my little Tacoma for 3 years now -- new in March, 2011. The bed is composite and just doesn't seem to mind salt water or chlorine at all. The bolts all show rust but so what is my attitude.

I did have to replace the tailgate after 1 year (?) -- but I think running a trailer hitch tongue through it had more to do with being replaced than any rust! I did get a canopy and am very glad I did.

We use the Stanley boxes to carry gear and they just fit very nicely -- easy to put in and take out.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

The camper shell is installed and it's ready for diving. Contemplating getting a mat or some such to reduce slipping in the back, and looking forward to getting a larger gear bin that isn't quite so dependent on squeezing it in the back of my car. The Stanley ones are indeed really nice.

Thanks for the information everyone! I am glad to finally have a dive vehicle after all these years. :)
IMAG0264_1.jpg
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Wow! Jealous------------------------------------>
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Penopolypants wrote:The camper shell is installed and it's ready for diving. Contemplating getting a mat or some such to reduce slipping in the back, and looking forward to getting a larger gear bin that isn't quite so dependent on squeezing it in the back of my car. The Stanley ones are indeed really nice.

Thanks for the information everyone! I am glad to finally have a dive vehicle after all these years. :)
IMAG0264_1.jpg
Nice Dive Rig!

Started out with a Stanley, and it worked okay. Moved on to one made by Plano, as I thought it's dimensions were better suited for dive gear - it's a little longer, which made it easier to fit fins inside, but it's not overwhelmingly huge. It also has wheels!

The one I have is model 1819XXL, named the Sportsman's Trunk. However, they have a new one, model 1919. The new one is a little sturdier (you can now sit on it, if you want/need to), has better wheels, no metal that can rust, and also has a oring gasket in the lid that makes it water-tight.

I've seen the new ones locally at Sportsman's Warehouse and Wally-world. I could find the older models at some (not all) Home Depot stores. It might be a little less expensive than the Stanley, too.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

mpenders wrote: Nice Dive Rig!

Started out with a Stanley, and it worked okay. Moved on to one made by Plano, as I thought it's dimensions were better suited for dive gear - it's a little longer, which made it easier to fit fins inside, but it's not overwhelmingly huge. It also has wheels!

The one I have is model 1819XXL, named the Sportsman's Trunk. However, they have a new one, model 1919. The new one is a little sturdier (you can now sit on it, if you want/need to), has better wheels, no metal that can rust, and also has a oring gasket in the lid that makes it water-tight.

I've seen the new ones locally at Sportsman's Warehouse and Wally-world. I could find the older models at some (not all) Home Depot stores. It might be a little less expensive than the Stanley, too.
Thanks! I will look for those bins too. I like sturdy!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

The bed and bolts in my 2009 Taco are holding up fine. I make sure to rinse the gate after every dive, but still a bit concerned about salt water infiltrating there.

Toyota makes a rubber mat for Taco beds, I highly recommend it. Otherwise everything slides around like a skating rink.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Or...you could avoid the isue entirely and buy an F250/350 in deisel and never worry about it again. AND!!! Have a lot more room to boot...hehehe :taco:
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Wow!!! I was only joking...I didn't mean to shut down the thread... :notworthy:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Hah! :) Fun fact - I almost bought an F350 about 20 years ago, but decided it was too big. I think this Tacoma is not much smaller. It's definitely a challenge to park.