Hello - Rattlesnake Lake?

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
laplansk
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Hello - Rattlesnake Lake?

Post by laplansk »

This is my hello email. I recently returned from Spain where I became PADI certified and did several of my first dives. Now that I am back, I would like to keep diving. Is there anyone (instructor) with equipment that would want to dive on Rattlesnake Lake in North Bend, WA this Spring/Summer? I have hiked and swam there many times and the water is always incredibly clear. There are a couple reasons I want to dive there. The first is that I have yet to dive in fresh water. The second is that the small town of Moncton used to be where the lake is now. My understanding is that the foundations of the buildings and possibly some are still down there. Another perk is that it is only 40ft deep at its maximum so there is no risk of accidentally going beyond my depth limit even if I don't wear a dive computer (which I don't own).

So, is anyone interested in this?

Here are links to the Wikipedia pages for the lake and the mount above the lake, Rattlesnake Ridge, which has some great hiking and views.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattlesnake_Lake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattlesnake_Ridge

Cheers!
archisgore
Aquaphile

Re: Hello - Rattlesnake Lake?

Post by archisgore »

There's a recently resurrected thread about that. From what I gather, it's not worth going there. But if you want, I'm up for it.
scubajen
Avid Diver

Post by scubajen »

Did you ever do this dive?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Its a bit of a hike from the parking to the lake shore (depending on crowds, for obvious reasons the closer spots fill up first)
The visibility is so so.
The house foundations are in about 6 or 8ft of water, you can walk on the bottom to see them in September or October so as a "dive" they are a bit silly.

I think there are better places to get wet at, I'm not a big fan of Cove 2, but its quite a bit better than Rattlesnake Lake.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

FWIW, I have lived near the lake for 29 years. When the lake is almost empty, I've been able to walk along the foundations on Moncton, but that was many years ago. Not really much to see. I have never dived the lake. That being said, since I live within walking distance of the lake, I would be happy to join you there. But be sure if this, don't set your expectations too high.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

CaptnJack wrote:Its a bit of a hike from the parking to the lake shore (depending on crowds, for obvious reasons the closer spots fill up first)
I second this. I have been hiking Rattlesnake Ledge rather frequently lately. I don't drive to the parking lot as I do this hike from my doorstep. Regardless, on weekends, the parking lot is overflowing by 9:00 am. The trail is busy (think Bellevue Square Mall on black Friday). I typically start my hikes at 6:00 am.