Drysuits, AGAIN

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Re: Drysuits, AGAIN

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

One other thing that is an advantage for the White's suits is that the skins are stretchy. I knew someone who owned two custom dry suits because his weight would vary. The White's accommodates that.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

, I tried to post this but I think it didn't get through. We have all Si-Tech seals. I got them because we don't dive that much and when we make the time and money investment I want to be able to dive. That said there is another, possibly bigger advantage. You can try all different sizes and designs of seals. Bottleneck wrist seals, tapered ones, heavyweight, lightweight, "bellows" neck seals (which I like). You can trim to your hearts content and if you go too far you can fix the problem quickly and cheaply and maybe someone larger can still use the trimmed ones.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

fnerg wrote:I think user-replaceable neck seals are less about save-a-dive type experiences, and more about waiting the X weeks it takes for the dive shop to replace the seals for you.
This will also vary with the type of diving you do. One of my 'hobbies' involves shooting video of polluted stormwater runoff which often has oil residue from car leaks etc... This eats up latex seals like crazy. Even diving in an area where there are boats prevalent (or off a charter boat) can leave you with a nasty film of petroleum products on your seals. Two weeks ago we were headed out to do a sick starfish survey and there was an oil slick coming up from the outfall at cove 1. We didn't notice it until it was already too late and we were coated with it, I'm still finding it in the nooks and crannies on my camera housing and lights, and ALL my seals that came into contact with the oil slick when i was trying to shoot a few pictures of it now look like swiss cheese.

In my case, where i also do some 'work' diving (as in get paid to shoot video of something on a set day at a set time and we need to get it done) having user replaceable seals is a godsend. For instructors, scientific divers, folks like me, it actually IS about a save-a-dive experience.

There would have been NO time to change out the seal at Keystone Jetty last weekend with a glue on system, i would have had to say "so sorry, can't shoot for you..." or like in the old days, have a second suit. Back then a back up suit was less about being a backup suit for holes but a back up suit for blown out seals.

Other times it can be your skin oils or some lotion or after shave a person uses... I know a few folks who have neck seals blow out/tear/etc.. in a matter of months no matter how well they take care of them. For those folks, user replaceable/ring system would also be a useful option.

------
Disclaimer: I've had user replaceable seals since the early 90's on my Typhoon Pro. That suit had the hard ring system for neck and wrist (where the neck was held on with a pipe clamp). Every time I use my DUI, I kind of marvel at the soft ring system and can't help but thinking "We've come a long way, baby!"
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

A little late here but here goes. I have only used one dry suit, my White's Fusion Bullet. We did like everyone here is suggesting and went to the Dive Expo last year and put our hands on as many dry suits as we could. After listening to many people telling me that they had to relearn their buoyancy all over again with a bag suit and several saying that their White's dove like a wet suit we chose the White's. My wife was sold when she touched to the Thermal Fusion undergarment, she has this thing about itchy material like wool and won't wear if it has any itch at all. We took the dry suit class because we got it for free due to buying our DS's from our LDS. On our check out dive I could tell immediately that we had made the right choice, my wife and I both love the feel of the Fusion's. She got the Fit but wishes she had got the Bullet. It does take a bit longer to dry but if I hang it up in the garage with a fan on it, it is 90% dry in less than two days (even in the winter). We got ours with the SLT package with silicone seals. LOVE LOVE LOVE them and glad we did it that way. We both got the rock boots which we also love, they are comfy and not cumbersome underwater.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

You can get a hanger with integrated fan(UK), highly reccomended...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

I got a DUI that fits me wonderfully. Still don't have my undergarment as even though I got my suit for steal, I have to save some money for the undergarment. Thanks for the input, I will be picking up the Whites for my daughter! So when I lose the weight I would like and possibly cause my suit to not fit, I can steal hers. Science!
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

child abuse
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

You haven't seen anything yet. LOL
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.