Last night at Redondo ...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Last night at Redondo ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Did a lovely solo dive at the 'Dond last evening, starting on the south beach and coming up at the MAST ... it's become my favorite profile there, but will only be viable for another few weeks. Once the boat docks go in and the fishermen come back to the pier, I won't be doing it again till late fall.

This evening I dropped down into pea soup ... vis was, at best, 3 to 5 feet until I got below about 40 fsw, then it cleared up to a nice 6-8 feet all the way down to the 90-fsw depth I maxed at.

Approaching the little reef at the south end, I immediately noticed a silt trail coming from the first rock pile. A cursory inspection confirmed that there was a GPO rearranging the rocks I'd so carefully placed so as to be able to photograph any inhabitants. There's now an octo in each of the three rock piles, and every damn one of them redecorated the place for privacy. Smart things they are ... but I'm happy to have them there. I'm contemplating building a fourth unit, since the site has proven so popular, but it'll have to wait till next winter at this point.

The little wolfie I've been seeing in the engine block wasn't home, but the place was nicely occupied with penpoint gunnels and other smaller inhabitants. Moving down to the south bottle field, I found the usual suspects ... several small red octos, three janolus fusca nudis, and one tiny stubby squid who was definitely not happy to see me.

I started north at a depth of around 75 feet and dropped down into the trough to make my way to the more familiar bottle field that most divers go to ... maxing there at 90 feet, and finding a few items of interest. Then over to the carousel boat and upslope to visit the little wolfie in the tire. After that ... and by now several minutes into deco ... I made my way slowly upslope to do my final few minutes below the pilings of the MAST before heading in.

Despite the very poor visibility, I was able to get a few decent shots, which I'll share now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Last night at Redondo ...

Post by Scubie Doo »

Nice shots Bob! I really like that profile too. I've actually started doing it in reverse. What I like about that is the steeper/quicker descent and a little more of a gradual ascent. But as you mention, that won't be possible soon.

Where did you spot that wolf eel?
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Great write up and photos, thanks Bob!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Bay Pipefish! I've only ever seen one of those!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Grateful Diver wrote:There's now an octo in each of the three rock piles, and every damn one of them redecorated the place for privacy. Smart things they are ... but I'm happy to have them there. I'm contemplating building a fourth unit, since the site has proven so popular, but it'll have to wait till next winter at this point.
Awesome! One of the highest octo densities around...

Thanks for the report Bob!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Nice report, and great shots! I guess I missed the little wolfie. Hes a cute little fella!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... another wolfie shot I liked ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Ah that's one of my fav wolfies! Great pic. I have not seen this animal in a while. Looking forward to our site this AM!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Got a pic of the whole wolfie today ...

... and an Easter bouquet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

great full body shot of the little wolfie! Been seen a few babies out and about lately
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Always a thrill when you can get a shot of the whole critter! Nice work.