Just out for a morning cast.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Just out for a morning cast.

Post by Dusty2 »

Two florida anglers out for a morning cast landed this 805 pound Mako shark while fishing from the beach near Navarre FL.
mako.jpeg.jpg
The rest of the story is here. http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/p ... ld-record/
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Just out for a morning cast.

Post by BillZ »

You know you're a Florida redneck when.......
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

It's too bad that thing lived from an egg to that size against pretty staggering odds to be killed by some dumbshit so he could drive around with it in his truck trying to look tough. In my opinion anyway.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

That was going to be my question: what's he doing to do with it? If he plans to hold a massive feast and feed a bunch of people with it, fine. Otherwise, I may have a problem with this guy.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

fill it full of helium, and fly it about.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

dwashbur wrote:That was going to be my question: what's he doing to do with it? If he plans to hold a massive feast and feed a bunch of people with it, fine. Otherwise, I may have a problem with this guy.
I think they plan on eating it...

It’s about $10 per pound at the fish market,” Earnie Polk said. “It sells right along with tuna and swordfish. Between all of us, there won’t be a bit of it wasted.”
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

According to the article. "Not one bit of it will go to waste"as thye plan on eating the entire fish.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

There was probably a Japanese buyer waiting for delivery. Back in the '80's I had some friends who used to fish for tuna in George's Bank ... the buyers would meet them at the dock and have that fish packed on ice and on its way to the airport before the boat even finished cleaning up. That's about a $15,000 fish in the back of that truck ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Re: eating that fish. Wonder what kind of shape it will be in after being hauled around in the bed of a pickup in very warm temperatures and still whole? I suspect not very tasty.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dwashbur wrote:That was going to be my question: what's he doing to do with it? If he plans to hold a massive feast and feed a bunch of people with it, fine. Otherwise, I may have a problem with this guy.

If you read the article you will see that they are a fishing family and he says it will feed the family including friends and neighbors for quite awhile and there will be nothing wasted. And they were not parading it around, they were trying to get it home discreetly with as little notice as possible because of the possible bad PR. However with an 11 foot long 1/2 ton shark in the back of your truck! You gotta admit in today's world it's pretty damn hard to hide from cell phones and prying eyes. If you stop on the side of the road to pee the odds are pretty good it will end up on twitter or face book. They had to stop for gas and someone at the station took the pix and called a local newspaper and it went viral from there.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

:eek: I will never pee along the roadside again... ever.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

What's a Twitter?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

could have covered it with a tarp or something.

Chris.. you don't use hashtags?
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Can't hashtag, they whiz quiz me at work.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Linedog wrote:Can't hashtag, they whiz quiz me at work.
Lol.
Gregp
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gregp »

I think there's something really important that we can learn from this shark catch.

Even though we can't turn back time and release this great creature back into the wild, speaking from a health perspective I sincerely hope that this man doesn't eat or feed it all to his family or friends. The shark is polluted with many bio-accumulative toxins including polybrominated and polychlorinated compounds (PBDEs, flame retardants, and PCBs), and high levels of methyl-mercury.

The substances above have been shown to have negative effects on brain/nervous system, reproductive system, immune system, as well as other important systems of the body. The FDA has stated that women who might become pregnant, women who are pregnant, nursing mothers, as well as young children should not eat any shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or orange roughy. Someone in desire of restoring their health should really consider avoiding these fish as well, especially if laboratory tests indicate high levels. In addition, I would personally suggest that a person in good or average health give a little thought to eating these types of fish because they can accumulate over time, especially in someone with poor detoxification genes and/or lack of specific nutrients. I'm not saying that everyone should give up their favorite fish, or forgo having a nice fish dinner. I'm just saying- we can be educated about consuming fish just like when we are diving.

Before going fishing or spearing, the FDA recommends checking with the current state advisories for fish consumption safety guidelines.
FDA's website: http://www.epa.gov/hg/advisories.htm.
Washington State's website: http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvir ... /Fish.aspx

Below is a list of mercury levels of fish sorted most to least toxic:
Data was taken from: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnes ... 115644.htm

I hope this information can be of use to you and your families. I enjoy helping people get and stay healthy so they can keep on diving! :) Please ask any questions you might have as I think this is a discussion worth having.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

For me the only thing that could make this better is if he would have cut the fins off and chucked it over. The oceans are less healthy because too many sharks are being harvested.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Reminds me of a post about an octopus taken at Cove2 not too long ago.
Legal.... But maybe not the best choice all things considered.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

mz53480 wrote:Reminds me of a post about an octopus taken at Cove2 not too long ago.
I doubt there are too many folks around the Navarre Florida area that consider a big Mako shark a personal pet.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Gregp wrote:I think there's something really important that we can learn from this shark catch.

Even though we can't turn back time and release this great creature back into the wild, speaking from a health perspective I sincerely hope that this man doesn't eat or feed it all to his family or friends. The shark is polluted with many bio-accumulative toxins including polybrominated and polychlorinated compounds (PBDEs, flame retardants, and PCBs), and high levels of methyl-mercury.

The substances above have been shown to have negative effects on brain/nervous system, reproductive system, immune system, as well as other important systems of the body. The FDA has stated that women who might become pregnant, women who are pregnant, nursing mothers, as well as young children should not eat any shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or orange roughy. Someone in desire of restoring their health should really consider avoiding these fish as well, especially if laboratory tests indicate high levels. In addition, I would personally suggest that a person in good or average health give a little thought to eating these types of fish because they can accumulate over time, especially in someone with poor detoxification genes and/or lack of specific nutrients. I'm not saying that everyone should give up their favorite fish, or forgo having a nice fish dinner. I'm just saying- we can be educated about consuming fish just like when we are diving.

Before going fishing or spearing, the FDA recommends checking with the current state advisories for fish consumption safety guidelines.
FDA's website: http://www.epa.gov/hg/advisories.htm.
Washington State's website: http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvir ... /Fish.aspx

Below is a list of mercury levels of fish sorted most to least toxic:
Data was taken from: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnes ... 115644.htm

I hope this information can be of use to you and your families. I enjoy helping people get and stay healthy so they can keep on diving! :) Please ask any questions you might have as I think this is a discussion worth having.
I guess I'm screwed as Big Eye is number 5 on the list.... And I sure as hell ain't eatin carp.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

pensacoladiver wrote:
mz53480 wrote:Reminds me of a post about an octopus taken at Cove2 not too long ago.
I doubt there are too many folks around the Navarre Florida area that consider a big Mako shark a personal pet.
Awww, cmon. You have room in your pool!!!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy