Redondo - 4/24

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Redondo - 4/24

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders, Gdog, and I hit Redondo for our ThThTh dive. We went down to the carousel boat, the the bottlefield, over to Bailey's rock pile and up the south beach. About half way through the dive I found a weight belt and had a blast lugging it around the rest of the dive :-) Viz was decent at depth. Also, I had a new lens I was trying out. It is a 15mm Fisheye. I knew it would be a tough task to use a WA lens in bad viz, but I wanted to try something new. My goal was to get some Close-Focus Wide Angle. I chose this particular lens because it can focus at about 6". I was sticking my camera very close to my subjects.

I almost touched this crab's claw getting this photo.

Here are two white-lined nudibranchs that I had to get really close to.

Her is a nice crab on one of Bailey's rock piles.

Another crab...

Finally, a touch of WA :-)

A little artistic flare.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Redondo - 4/24

Post by Gdog »

The WA shot looks good, especially considering the vis was crap at that depth. Nice work as usual Jesse!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:The WA shot looks good, especially considering the vis was crap at that depth. Nice work as usual Jesse!
Thanks George. Strobe placement was killing me though. You can see I blew out the sides on a couple shots. Also, if you look close you can see a lot of backscatter. I'll play around and see if I can get better at this. Did you get any pics????
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Not really. One Janolus shot came out ok. But was fun diving with you and Mike.
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Jesse - very impressed that you got green water without backscatter with this kind of viz! Like many of us - I don't use my WA as much as macro. It seems I have to "learn again" every time I put the WA lens on. Kudos to you for being brave enough to put yours on in the Month of April!!! Keith
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Ditto on the wide angle shots in that murky water. I chickened out on putting mine on Saturday
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Love it Jesse!

We have to get back to Bonaire where you can REALLY put all your lenses through their paces!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Although I really didnt have much for shots this dive, for the sake of posting, here goes..
Nice Janolus Nudi.jpg
Stubby Midflight.jpg
Shaggy Mouse Nudi.jpg
Pair of Pink Janolus.jpg
Aeolid Nudi.jpg
Colorful Anenome.jpg
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Dang....do you guys fine tooth comb the bottom for these pic's or what? Those are some cool pic's.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Pretty much.....move slow, look close! When the vis is bad, you have to look for what is there, not what isnt.