Weezle or DUI undergarment

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Weezle or DUI undergarment

Post by GreatLakesWreckDiver »

Anyone have experience with both DUI 400g and Weezle Extreme+ undergarments? I currently have the DUI and it is very bulky and takes FOREVER to dry. I have to run it through the dryer 3 times before it is completely dry after a wash. Even damp after a dive it will take better than a day of hanging to dry out.

As for warmth - it does the job, but I am looking for something that will dry quicker and allow me to get in my dry suit a little easier, but still have the warmth. Most I talk to love Weezle. Thought with the compression, it may make it easier to get into my dry suit. I would like to try LavaCore but they won't come out with their Tall line until next year sometime.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Weezle or DUI undergarment

Post by Penopolypants »

I have a Weezle Extreme +, and it dries in a ridiculously short amount of time, whether I line dry it (typically) or put it in the dryer.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

GreatLakesWreckDiver wrote:Anyone have experience with both DUI 400g and Weezle Extreme+ undergarments? I currently have the DUI and it is very bulky and takes FOREVER to dry. I have to run it through the dryer 3 times before it is completely dry after a wash. Even damp after a dive it will take better than a day of hanging to dry out.

As for warmth - it does the job, but I am looking for something that will dry quicker and allow me to get in my dry suit a little easier, but still have the warmth. Most I talk to love Weezle. Thought with the compression, it may make it easier to get into my dry suit. I would like to try LavaCore but they won't come out with their Tall line until next year sometime.
They are very different garments. Weezles are a lofting garment, will trap air and require more lead to sink. The DUI is polarfleece or the like, is not a lofting garment, and wont trap air like a weezle.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Jeff Pack wrote:They are very different garments. Weezles are a lofting garment, will trap air and require more lead to sink. The DUI is polarfleece or the like, is not a lofting garment, and wont trap air like a weezle.
That is a bit of the confusing part to me. Any of these undergarments work by trapping air. Even Polarfleece works by trapping air. Believe the big difference is the fleece does not compress like the the lofting material used in Weezle. I may be completely wrong and if I am, please correct me.

Know Waterproof went as far as to build in a crushproof air layer in their D1 suit just to have that air gap.
Last edited by GreatLakesWreckDiver on Fri May 09, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have had both. Weezle lasts vastly longer and dries pretty quick, although I don't have to actually launder it much since it stinks much less than thinsulate (possibly because it doesn't stay damp long)

The weezle will take 2-3 more lbs to sink. I find it quite a bit warmer than used 400gm (new the 400gm was roughly the same though).

The thinsulate has "stiff" fibers and doesn't really compress much past a certain point. So you can run your drysuit "smushed" and not get extremely cold in thinsulate. On the other hand, unless you put significant gas in your suit, the weezle will compress to a paper thin. In order to have gas all over you need a bit more in a weezle vs thinsulate (or you have cold spots) hence the general need for more lead to compensate.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I've examined both but just ordered a Santi 400g undergarment.

Check out the Santi imo....it's the hot tip.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Jeremy wrote:I've examined both but just ordered a Santi 400g undergarment.
That is an electric vest, isn't it?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The vest is separate. The Santi is 400gm thinsulate like the DUI, just cut way better.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

CaptnJack wrote:The Santi is 400gm thinsulate like the DUI, just cut way better.
Here is my main issue... I am 6'4" with 36" inseam and arms. Have to look at manufactures that make Tall cuts. It looks like Santi does to that (with some really strange sizing.) An LLL may work. Anyone sell them around here?

WOW - just found the Santi at DRIS. I can't pop for $500+. Budget won't allow that right now...and I would probably look at heated gear if I was going to drop that kind of cash.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm also 6'4" and have worn Weezles for years (both Extreme and Extreme Plus) and never had a problem with fit. Imho there is nothing out there that does a better job, (but then, I'm a Weezle dealer, so I'm a bit biased!).
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

John Rawlings wrote:(but then, I'm a Weezle dealer, so I'm a bit biased!).
I did read your extensive post on the Weezle line. Also have heard from a few divers from my old club that loved Weezle.

I should mention - I will be using these under a Bare XCD2 crushed neoprene. Seems that a lot of folks I talked to are using shell suits like trilam or Viking. Any thoughts?

Have been using the DUI 400g in my Bare CD4. When I was diving the great lakes, I didn't need much thermals except for ice diving. Finding the shallower, longer dives in the Sound are making me long for warmer gear that works well.

CaptnJack - You may have hit the nail on the head with the thinsulate and the smell. That is a big reason I wash mine all the time. If I don't, it gets funky pretty quick. I can't imagine going on a week long trip with it.
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

I just recently recieved my weezle Extreme that I purchased from John. I've logged 4 dives on it and I love it! Warmest dives ever!!! I also dive the Bare XCD2 drysuit. I was using 4th Element undergarments and they were good, but don't hold a candle to the Weezle. My first dive with the Weezle, I leaked a little around my neck seal and stayed very warm and the undergarment was dry by the next morning just from hanging in my closet. I would highly recommend the Weezle Extreme! Can't believe I waited this long to get one...

-Mathue
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

That is great info Mathue. Did you have to add much weight? Does it seem like you need to add a lot of air in your suit at depth to stay warm?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've used the Weezle Extreme in shell suits (DUI and Santi) and in the Bare XCS2, and it works great. Doesn't work so good in a White's Fusion, however ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

GreatLakesWreckDiver wrote:That is great info Mathue. Did you have to add much weight? Does it seem like you need to add a lot of air in your suit at depth to stay warm?
I added two pounds, but probably didn't need it. It doesn't feel like I'm adding any more air than normal. The difference in thermal comfort is remarkable though. Even on the surface, I would usually wear my 4th Element Top and Bottom under my Gore-Tex bibs and jacket for the boat ride out to the islands and be just right. I tried that with the Weezle, and had to unzip the top and pull it down around my waist, too warm...

-Mathue
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Thanks Bob and Mathue. Great info and I am feeling a lot more comfortable about giving Weezle a go with the XCD2.

I am interested to see how the XCD2 will dive differently than the CD4. Both start with 6mm neoprene so overall they are the same weight, but the XCD2 should have less air in the neoprene which I would expect to make it a little cooler suit but also require a little less weight to go down because of less air trapped in the neoprene. I may find i don't need any more weight than I have on the belt right now.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Be aware that the Weezle Extreme Plus is a LOT warmer than the Extreme. Since I'm pretty warm blooded, I very rarely wore my Extreme Plus, even in the middle of Winter, because I would get too hot. I saved it for the days that were absolutely frigid.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

John Rawlings wrote:Be aware that the Weezle Extreme Plus is a LOT warmer than the Extreme.
Thanks John. I had read that in your posting about Weezle as well. There was a time when I carried a lot of insulation around with me that I didn't need thermals at all under my CD4 for a 30 minute Great Lakes dive in 45 degree water. I have found that losing my fat layer is really making me cold underwater fast so I need some extra thermals.

I will have some lighter thermals for shorter summer dives so I should be good to go.

Has anyone attached ballistic nylon to the back of Weezle where the dry suit zipper runs? I am looking for a way to keep the thermals from getting in the zipper. This goes for any of my thermals. Wondering if anyone has just glued them on and if so - what glue was used.
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

GreatLakesWreckDiver wrote:Has anyone attached ballistic nylon to the back of Weezle where the dry suit zipper runs? I am looking for a way to keep the thermals from getting in the zipper. This goes for any of my thermals. Wondering if anyone has just glued them on and if so - what glue was used.
I haven't found that to be needed. My XCD2 has the neoprene flap inside that lays between the zipper and your undergarment. Between that and a diligent dive buddy zipping you in, that should be plenty. I also recently replaced my original metal zipper with the new plastic T-Zip which seems like it would be more undergarment friendly.

-Mathue
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

My CD4 has a neoprene flap in it too but there are times it seems no matter how careful your buddy is, that under suit just wants to get out.

I ordered some 500 and 1000 denier cordura and will look at what will work better as a protective covering. Heard back from McNett about adhesive for this application. They recommend AquaSeal. I have that so I will give it a thin coating and give it a go. Little extra protection across the back in the zipper area can't be a bad thing.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I dive a shell suit and use an Extreme Plus in the Winter months (October / November to April) and switch back to lighter undergarments when the water warms up.

I need a bit of extra weight 2 - 4 lbs when I'm diving the Plus.

It is WAY too much for Summer temps FOR ME.

My reason for not buying the Extreme was that I could afford only one nice UG, and my buddies loved the Extreme but sometimes got a bit chilly when temps dropped into the mid to low 40's. I didn't want to be cold EVER dropping that coin!

Diving in Neah Bay, in Alaska, and in Hood Canal when temps are in the high 30's I will be 40 minutes into a dive and realize that I haven't once thought about temps or being cold. It works wonderfully.

As an added bonus, when my dry suit was leaking the Weezle dried quickly and still kept me warm.

Good luck!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

[quote="Tom Nic"Diving in Neah Bay, in Alaska, and in Hood Canal when temps are in the high 30's I will be 40 minutes into a dive and realize that I haven't once thought about temps or being cold. It works wonderfully.[/quote]

Great to hear! In March I was finding 60 minutes was about my max before getting cold at Point Hudson or the canal. Sounds like this will be the ticket :supz:

I think the Bare Extreme will be a great under suit when it gets a little warmer. Worked out a combo deal and getting them both from a guy that went to a heated suit.

My weighting is all messed up right now because my CD4 is so huge on me. In the end I wouldn't be surprised if I could drop a little weight from my belt.
Chris H
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Chris H »

You'll be pleased with the warmth of the Weezle Extreme+. Your insulation is all boxed up, I'll ship them on Monday.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Chris H wrote:You'll be pleased with the warmth of the Weezle Extreme+. Your insulation is all boxed up, I'll ship them on Monday.
Great to see you on the forum here Chris. I am really looking forward to the Weezle and Bare undergarments. Got my Bare XCD2 today and I think it will be a great fit.

When are you coming out this way? I see the Sound is one of your diving destination wish lists. I can't go to the depths you can but would gladly buddy up to about 140 or so.

-Rich
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

UPDATE: I have three dives in with the Weezle now and it is working out great. In my case, I also changed from a Bare CD4 in size 3XL to a Bare XCD2 in size XLT. I found that going form the CD4 with DUI to the XCD2 with Weezle Extreme+ I was able to drop 5# from the weight belt.

Also ran the Weezle through a wash cycle and it is MUCH easier to clean and dry than the DUI. Didn't seem to need much air at all in the suit to keep the warmth. Water temp was at 47 degrees this past weekend and my dives ranged from 30 - 50 minutes. Not super long but I think enough to safely say the Weezle did its job.