Florida and Grand Bahama in June

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
ScottJordan
Just Settling In

Florida and Grand Bahama in June

Post by ScottJordan »

I'm headed to Florida around June 15th to stay in Fort Lauderdale for a couple of nights then heading out to the Grand Bahama and staying in Free Port for 2 nights. Then I head back to FT Lauderdale for 2 more nights. I am looking for places to go dive. Also I am the only diver traveling in my group so where ever I end up going I will need to be able to acquire a buddy. I don't have the time or money to dive the whole trip but I am looking to get 4-6 dives in while I am there. I am wondering whether spending time diving out at the Grand Bahama would be better than Florida or not. I got my own gear and have logged 15 dives and hoping to get a few more her in the PNW before I go.

Thanks
Scott
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Florida and Grand Bahama in June

Post by Jeff Pack »

My understanding for Florida diving its all boat diving except for caves, or caverns.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

There is some good shore diving in Lauderdale by the Sea (Datura Avenue) and about 8 mikes further south in Dania Beach (SeaTech Ledges).

Both have pay parking and require dive flags. Sea Tech has some awesome ledges out just past the pier.

There is a Meetup group called "Gold Coast Scuba". They always have dives going on there. You ought to check them out. It's a 20 lifetime membership fee, but if you're just there for a few days , they will probably waive it. Their shop is on commercial boulevard... Right close to the Datura avenue dive site.

If you want to get out to the third reef, you are gonna need a charter.

If you're interested in that, let me know and I can send you a whole laundry list to choose from.

I'll be there the last 10 days of May for some deep "heavy metal" wreck diving.

It's the Mecca of US wreck diving. Enjoy it.
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Bahama is nice place and its good that you are diving traveler and its first time i hear that any special dive traveler is there its owner for me and i want to get some tips about the diving if you have..