Renting a portable compressor?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Renting a portable compressor?

Post by JDelage »

Does anyone know of a way to rent a portable compressor in the greater Seattle area?

Thanks,

JD
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Re: Renting a portable compressor?

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Not trying to sound sarcastic. . Good luck... really... of you do find a source please be sure to update this thread with that info because someone else is going to want that same info sometime.

Thanks and good luck with your search.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Ahhhh! A new business opportunity! I wonder how many ways there are to wreck a high pressure compressor?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Desert Diver wrote:Ahhhh! A new business opportunity! I wonder how many ways there are to wreck a high pressure compressor?
More than you want to deal with I assure you. It is not just the rental it is the liability issue. Your question should have been how many ways are there to kill or maim yourself and or friends and family. It's certainly not a simple plug and play operation. Safe use of a portable compressor requires training and a lot of setup to insure you are pumping clean air through a safe and clean system. 3500 psi is a very dangerous item to work with and can be deadly if improperly handled. Ask Waynne what it can do.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

Thanks all. It seems clear that this is not going to be doable. Too bad - we're renting a small house in an isolated part of Decatur island, and I would have loved to find a way to dive.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Bring a lot of tanks.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

You could always buy one of the small portables and sell it later. They hold their value pretty good if they are low hours.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on what dusty said.. you can buy a small Coltri or Bauer that will re-sell for pretty much the difference in what you would have paid rent..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

kdupreez wrote:+1 on what dusty said.. you can buy a small Coltri or Bauer that will re-sell for pretty much the difference in what you would have paid rent..
It's a trap! Don't fall for it! Next thing you know you will own a gas one and an electric one.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

You could ask Jackson Brown to go with you. He has a portable.

Is he still banned here, or has the old fart learned to behave? :-)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

pensacoladiver wrote:You could ask Jackson Brown to go with you. He has a portable.

Is he still banned here, or has the old fart learned to behave? :-)
He's been back onboard NWDC for awhile now. We're getting soft in our old age. ;)
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Maybe he is too!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

could be. depends on hours and maintenance history and if you can still get parts. the poseidons are bauer blocks iirc, so they are pretty good little machines..

$1.6k is not bad price if it works well, decent hours and good service history..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Dusty2 wrote:
Desert Diver wrote:Ahhhh! A new business opportunity! I wonder how many ways there are to wreck a high pressure compressor?
More than you want to deal with I assure you. It is not just the rental it is the liability issue. Your question should have been how many ways are there to kill or maim yourself and or friends and family. It's certainly not a simple plug and play operation. Safe use of a portable compressor requires training and a lot of setup to insure you are pumping clean air through a safe and clean system. 3500 psi is a very dangerous item to work with and can be deadly if improperly handled. Ask Waynne what it can do.
Here's just a small taste of the potential fun you can have.

before any clean up
Capital Divers 37.jpg
after moving some things.... I was v.i.p'ing the tank standing up. The concussion pushed me to that open doorway you see in the bottom pic as everything was flying my way... I'm such a lucky person!... :supz: :partyman: :norris: :joshsmith:
PICT0009.JPG
PICT0002.JPG
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Wow, Waynne. I'm glad you're a lucky guy!
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

I read about your incident Wayne, but never heard what failed?
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I dance a jig every morning Spat! :)

One of our storage bottles. It was an aluminium tank with steal windings. After testing it's believed there were fractures in some fatigued metal that had been occurring for about 10 years. It was really fortunate that I'd run the banks down to just under half pressure that afternoon. And no one else was in or around the building. The outside didn't fair any better than the inside.

One day when I get some time, I'll post a report with some better pix...