Club dive! Club dive! Club dive! MOVED! May 10th, 2014!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Re: Club dive! Club dive! Club dive! MOVED! May 10th, 2014!

Post by olalladiver »

Good times today --

Thanks to all of you, but also so very nice to finally put faces with a few names I've seen online for awhile. It was a pleasure and great that weather cooperated.

I look forward our next splash all...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

LowDrag wrote:I agree, thank you Penelopy for putting together a fun day. We showed up and had a great time. We got to meet and re-meet a few folks from the forum. I just hope I can keep everyone's names straight for the next time. Danee and I did one dive and got to see the octo under the little boat. That was our very first octo sighting on a dive. That was awesome!!! It was a great day diving and hanging out with cool folks.

Thanks everyone for making us feel at home on our first NWDC get together!!!

Dave
Dave ... sorry I missed talking to you more. When I came back from the second dive you had left already.

Was good to spend a few minutes with you and Danee.

Come on up for a dive sometime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Here's some pics from the day's festivities ... compliments of Cheng's camera ...

Pam, Penelope, James (behind Penelope),and an Easter Egg in a drysuit ... :)

Me & Pam ...

Kim and Bob ...

Our lovely hostess ...

Sun, fun, food and diving ... it don't get no better than this ...

Kim & Debbie ... who came all the way out from Spokane for this event ...

Me & Pam, heading down for Dive 2 ...

Yes, we're going diving ... somebody else watch the grill for a while ...

Happy hour ...

Those of us who were still hanging out after 3 PM ... Penelope managed to hide behind me ...
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Grateful Diver wrote:
LowDrag wrote:I agree, thank you Penelopy for putting together a fun day. We showed up and had a great time. We got to meet and re-meet a few folks from the forum. I just hope I can keep everyone's names straight for the next time. Danee and I did one dive and got to see the octo under the little boat. That was our very first octo sighting on a dive. That was awesome!!! It was a great day diving and hanging out with cool folks.

Thanks everyone for making us feel at home on our first NWDC get together!!!

Dave
Dave ... sorry I missed talking to you more. When I came back from the second dive you had left already.

Was good to spend a few minutes with you and Danee.

Come on up for a dive sometime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No worries Bob...it was great talking to you as well. We needed to get going, we were both really tired from getting up so early and driving up from Portland. It was an even longer drive home this time for some reason. We will definitely be calling you sometime son to set up a dive or two.

Thanks,
Dave and Danee

Great pic's of the group!!!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What a wonderful day! The weather was great, the viz was...somewhat improved :), and the company was, of course, excellent. Many thanks to everyone there, and special thanks to to all the big buddies and everyone who helped set up and break down. And to the bringers of food! Bacon jam, corn and black bean salad, fruit salad, baked beans, brownies, cookies, gourmet cheese, arugula, avocado, and did I mention bacon jam?!

Also, many thanks to everyone who was willing to loan gear out, including to me after my reg when TU and my tanks were all loaned out, which meant that I got to do an unexpected and delightful second dive. Woohoo!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... that bacon jam recipe needs to be posted ... for posterity, of course ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Guys
Glad you liked the bacon jam! :) It is pretty easy to make.

1) Fry some bacon, set aside. I like to use Apple Gate Farms Sunday Bacon, patted crisp on paper towels when done.
2) Caramelize some onions. You can likely do this in oil or strained bacon fat -- I used oil. This takes about 45 mins. To avoid burning, stir every minute, and start at a high heat lowering the temp as you go. Add a little salt in the beginning to help melt the onions.
3) Get the pan hot, then deglaze the onions with balsamic vinegar
4) Add some brown sugar, and a bit of pepper to taste
5) Add crumbled bacon to the mixture, stir.

The amounts are very forgiving. Adjust with more vinegar or sugar at the end if needed, to get a balanced taste and a nice coating for the bacon and onions.

I use about 1 1/2 onions per pack of bacon. I suggest two packs of bacon minimum. Consider using a couple of frying pans to help speed up the process a bit.

This is great on grass fed burgers with blue cheese and arugula with toasted brioche buns like Skillet does (I also add avocado). I also made a really good mango, blue cheese, avocado, bacon jam with balsamic vinaigrette arugula salad last night.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

I'd love to see other recipes too. Those brownies and beans were super good. I didn't get a chance to try the raspberry sauce cupcakes.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gregp
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gregp »

It was so great to meet so many of you, and what a super friendly bunch of people you all are!

Here's Monica and I's water melon recipe (I know - it's a tough one):

1. Sunny skies
2. Be post-dive (though can be eaten pre-dive with certain safety precautions).
3. Be with the NWDC.
4. One full and ripe watermelon (apparently you can find a good one by the way it sounds when tapping it - you'll have to ask my wife Monica about this trick as I haven't been able to master it yet).
5. Clean your dive knife
6. Cut the watermelon slices

Enjoy!
SeahorseDeb
Avid Diver

Post by SeahorseDeb »

Thankyou for the warm welcome and yummy food!!! Kim and I sure didn't expect sunshine and meeting new friends yesterday, but WOW what a wonderful group of friends,,,,...and you dive too that makes it all that much nicer! Thankyou again so much!!!! We hope to meetup with you again!!!!
Debbie
Why is the water so green......
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Post by MorningDiverBob »

We had great dive time and meet nice divers. A foods were great. Thanks to Penoploypants for wonderful planning and good time.
Go Dive and Dive Safe