Scuba-Fix BCD Repair kit

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sarinae
Aquaphile

Scuba-Fix BCD Repair kit

Post by sarinae »

I got a BCD for my son that was just about perfect. WOuldn't you know it, the dumb thing busted the dump valve one of the first dives out. The entire thread part for the bcd completely broke apart. After some research, it appeared that no local company would be willing to fix it so I undertook finding a repair solution myself. I didn't want to trash an entire great unit just because of this one issue.

I found www.scuba-fix.com but since they are a Singapore company, the information they had was limited and of little use. It sort of described the repair solution but not entirely. Well, I ordered the kit and it just arrived. I could not find any of their actual repair videos online so I decided that it was worth a shot but that I would share the videos with others considering buying the product. It appears relatively straightforward to use, though I am sure that the real repair will not be as simple as demonstrated on the video. They rarely are! The instructions were better than the pictures from IKEA that rarely help me, so we will see if I can manage it.

If you are interested in seeing the video, I published it to Youtube though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTaDqY0 ... e=youtu.be

I will let you all know how the repair goes. I am headed out shortly to give it a go.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Scuba-Fix BCD Repair kit

Post by Nwbrewer »

There's a thread on those over on Scubaboard. Depending on how the fitting is attached to the bladder, you might not need that kit though. If it's just the fitting that's cracked, you can replace that without glue or anything (It's a compression fit) with parts from Dive Gear Express.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Nwbrewer wrote:There's a thread on those over on Scubaboard. Depending on how the fitting is attached to the bladder, you might not need that kit though. If it's just the fitting that's cracked, you can replace that without glue or anything (It's a compression fit) with parts from Dive Gear Express.
thanks for the tip! I found on the Divegear website a DX-202920 Bladder Flange Assy - Includes Inner, Outer, and Intermediate Seal but it had no information on it so I couldn't be sure that it would fit the bladder and opening I already have.

The threaded male end which protrudes from the bladder where the dump valve attaches completely and totally broke off. I guess the good thing is that it was simpler to remove the remaining pieces on the bladder.

Here is the before pic:
before repair attempt
before repair attempt
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

P5150159.JPG
Here is the after pic.

Have to wait 18 hours to dry before we can test it.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Let us know how it works. From what I can tell it's just an oversized bladder nut. No reason why it shouldn't work. FYI I've glued them in with contact cement before and it's worked just fine.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman