Steve's Scuba

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Steve's Scuba

Post by tasarsailor »

Does anyone know if Steve's scuba in Portland/milwaukie is still in business?

Also, there is apparently a new dive shop just off se Powell but it never seems to be open? There isn't even a name on the store. It looks like they have some of the furniture from Steve's scuba. Any ideas what's up?

Tony
Portland
RenaB
Aquaphile

Re: Steve's Scuba

Post by RenaB »

New shop is open. Don't know if Steve's Scuba is still open.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

I've been by the new shop several times and no one seems to be around. No hours posted, no name, no phone, etc...
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

Thus is the one by the cider place just off Powell.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

I know they mentioned on this board and on facebook that shop was open. Which surprised me since they aren't ready to be open yet. Not sure what the update is on that.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

Do you know the name of the new shop? A phone? I really want to give these folks my business but they are making it tough.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

Thanks for the link. They are open. I will post the remainder of the story when I get to a proper keyboard.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Every time I have stopped by they are closed. My understanding is that Steve sold his shop to one of the guys he worked with and they opened up over on Powell. I have stopped by a few times to try and invite them to an Oregon Scuba Club meeting but they don't seem to ever be open. It's unfortunate, we would like to promote all the local shops but we can't do it if we can't talk to them... :dontknow:
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

Wrong storefront. Nw scuba in north of Powell on the west side of milwaukie ave between Powell and first cross street. Great shop run by Jesse and jonesie.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

tasarsailor wrote:Wrong storefront. Nw scuba in north of Powell on the west side of milwaukie ave between Powell and first cross street. Great shop run by Jesse and jonesie.
The shop I referring to is on the south side of Powell in the same building that Subway is in. It is the dark red building on SE 23rd IIRC.
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

That store front is actually Steve's. His friend owns the building and I think Steve intended to open up shop but hasn't. The folks at nwscuba tried to buy Steves business but the deal fell through. Steve always said he made more off his coin collecting than the scuba business. Give Jesse a call at nwscuba and he will give you the whole story. After the deal for Steve's fell through they just bought all new stuff and started from scratch. I think all their rental, filling, repair gear is all new stuff.
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

Here is potentially another reason Steve's Scuba is no longer up and running. Really sad for everyone involved. Hope we don't lose Bandito too.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/11/3 ... /296/&rh=1
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

This incident is a shame, I feel bad for all involved. On the deal falling thru, I had heard about that as well. It is too bad that things didn't work out for either of them.