Driving over altitude after diving - best practices?

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Driving over altitude after diving - best practices?

Post by CaptnJack »

60south wrote: For instance, if I go from 6000ft to 13000ft prior to the dive in the space of, say, 4 hours, what is my residual nitrogen loading? Specifically, how should I adjust my dive plan to compensate?
Nothing IMO. On the actual dive your tissue will have a tiny amount of "pre-loaded" inert gas. That is just before you descend you will still have a slight overpressure gradient in your longer tissues and this in theory could reduce your allowable no-deco time. But in practice it won't make a bit of difference. 4 hours is actually a fairly long surface interval after all. All of your controlling tissues will be at ambient and you can just plan the dive as you wish for the applicable altitude.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Driving over altitude after diving - best practices?

Post by Mateo1147 »

I have been lurking very intently on this thread. I regularly dive two or three dives in a day and drive over Stevens pass, elev. 4,050 ish' to get home with no I'll effects. My home is at 2,650' here in beautiful Eastern Washington. The one time nitrogen got the better of me I knew before getting above 200'. It would be nice to see more definative information about this topic.
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!