The time has come

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

The time has come

Post by Dusty2 »

For years now I have preached that we should listen to the little voices in our heads and now it's time I take my own advice. It's one of the hardest decisions I have made but I have decided that it's time to hang up my fins. I feel that it is the right thing to do. It is better that I do this now than to foolishly wait till I become another unfortunate diving statistic and cause undo pain to others. I have made tons of friends through this sport and will miss it dearly but a wise man knows when it is time and only fools press on when there is little hope of a better outcome. I have had a good run considering my late start in this sport and have thousand of photos to remember it by and many friends and good times to remember. All good things must end and this is the smart thing to do and the right time to do it. The tears are flowing but it is time! :rawlings:
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: The time has come

Post by Linedog »

I'm sad to see you go, but admire and respect your decision.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

You're the best Dusty
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

:( I can't imagine how hard it is to have to make that decision. But, good for you that you are wise and strong enough to do so with such grace.
Jenn
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Before someone asks, I will still be making and supporting my lights same as always.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

wow, you are like a fixture here... Sorry to see you leaving diving, but glad to see you were wise enough to know when to fold'em..
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sorry to see you hang up the fins man, hopefully warm clear snorkeling is still in your future :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Wow! I will miss your reports and photographs. Thank you so much for introducing us to the Pt. Hudson jetty. Best wishes for whatever you turn your energies to next.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I am so sorry to hear that! I can't even imagine how hard it must be to have to make that decision. Your photos and reports will be missed. Hopefully snorkeling and surface photography are still in the realm of possibility for you?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Sad to hear, but an opportunity for you to find a new love. A new journey awaits!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Sorry to hear it, Dusty, your photos and help with critter ID were always very valuable and appreciated.
I hope you will hang around and help us even if your suit will now stay dry on both sides.
Good luck, buddy !
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sorry to hear this, Dusty. But I respect your honesty very much. And I hope you continue to hang around the board.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Rich, sorry to hear this. I have thoroughly enjoyed "same ocean diving" with you, your help with critter IDs, your awesome photo library, and your lights :) please don't be a stranger.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

You will be missed, Rich. Sorry the time has come to switch gears, but I hope the next ride is as enjoyable as this one had been.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Well crap. I'm sorry to hear this.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

You know the old saying where fools rush in where wise men fear to tread... Its a wise man who knows when to hang up his fins. Sorry to see you go. Enjoyed diving with you.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks guys and gals.
I have no plans to vanish into the mists. I have to many friends here and have always felt a part of this community and people aren't always so lucky so I will be here doing what I have always done and helping out wherever I can. You never know things could change if I get my old butt out and get in better condition. For now no for sale signs yet on the gear but at the moment I am not the safe dive buddy I should be and I don't feel that it would be responsible to put others at risk. Rescue training is great but actually having to use it sucks so I won't be the one to test your abilities for now anyway! I'm quite sure you will see me around the dive sites from time to time. :partyman:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Well, sad to read this today dusty .. Hope you find a new start in life with a new adventure
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Glad to know ya and much respect for your proactivity. Best wishes on new adventures.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Rich: You're a better man than I am. My wife made the decision for me, or I would still be thrashing around out there. I ache to go back into the water. I am on the boat now, and the visibility looks wonderful. Every place I go on the boat to reminds me of a dive. Keep posting here and I hope we can meet for breakfast at Sea Jays. It has been great diving with you and following your exploits on this board and on your website. Hang in there old-timer.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Gonna miss you in the water, brother. Good thing I live right around the corner! I'm glad you're gonna hang around this group; your critter knowledge is priceless.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Rich - Sorry to hear it is time. I want to thank you for introducing me and Margaret to Pt Hudson. Have enjoyed the few dives we were able to do with you. Best wishes for the future.

Larry
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Aw Rich! I'm sorry we won't get to dive Hudson again, but I'm glad that you seem to have come to terms with things. We all appreciate the contributions you've made to the community over there, from maps to photos to local knowledge. Thanks for diving with me out there, hooking me up with Don (seriously, thanks for that one the most!) and sharing all your information!!
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Rich, although we never dove as buddy's, but have official dove together (signaled OK to each other underwater), I will miss your reports. I will never, ever, ever forget Point Hundson and the Mola Mola which is permanently embedded in my brain. And, I will not forget when we talked on the surface and I asked, "Did you see that?" and you promptly replied, "Yea, and I got a photo."
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
My video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n0q8XbsEG8I

Take care my friend and I hope to see you on my walks through Fort Worden. (ugh, I hate spellcheck.)

PS: I miss Mola. :)

-Mark
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

It is a time that must come, sooner or later, to all. From your post it appears you are at peace after a difficult decision. Take care and good fortune.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.