Hawaii, Big Island Diving

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Micah
Frequent Bubbler

Hawaii, Big Island Diving

Post by Micah »

I'm headed to Hawaii in 3 weeks and I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions of dive sites or shops I should go through? I'll be staying in Kona with my family, none of whom dive, so I will have to do boat dives or somehow find a dive buddy on the island. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Micah
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Hawaii, Big Island Diving

Post by fmerkel »

If you like critters, Kona Reef is great. Excellent staff, good boat. Their 3 tank all day dive is really nice.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

The best diving on the island is two-step and puako IMO. Get a hold of Jackson Seay. He lives right near puako and is an excellent dive guide. His website is dive puako.com. I'd also recommend kona Honu or big island divers, both great dive ops.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

PM bingediver here on NWDC. She lives in Waimea and works for Kohala Divers.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Micah, Meredith Tanguay is currently on the big island. She's a GUE instructor and a great person. You can get her contact information off the GUE website.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Micah
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Micah »

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll will send Meredith an email, thanks Lynne!
aadolfi
Aquaphile

Post by aadolfi »

+1 for Meredith. We had lunch with her when Bex and I were in Kona last December. We didn't actually get a chance to dive on account of some ridiculously large waves, but we plan to meet up with her next time we are there.
The purpose of life should not be to journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Holy S#it!!!" What a Ride!!!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

A friend of mine from Northern California just spent a week diving with Mer. He had a blast. I did some cave diving with her a couple of years back, and I really like her and found her an excellent guide.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
SwamiMacGyver
Just Settling In

Post by SwamiMacGyver »

I liked the black water dive off Kona. Jacks Diving Locker and Big Island Divers do it. 2 miles off shore, 2 miles off the sea floor, dangling like bait on a line. What more can you ask for? :-)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Meredith works for Kona Diving Company ... as does my friend and former student Billy Ball. Both are great people to go diving with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Personally i still not dive in Hawaii Island because i am not big swimmer of the water i think its very dangerous for me and may be my life will be ended after dive into water..but your all experience is good and you are good diver...