Day Island Wall, 7-06-2014

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Day Island Wall, 7-06-2014

Post by Tom Nic »

Bassman, EJ, Mpenders, Dlh, and myself met at Day Island late this afternoon to take advantage of flat water and gorgeous weather.

We were not disappointed!

Mr. Penders nailed the slack prediction perfectly, and we rode the waning current North, then back South.

All the usual critters were out and about - GPO's, Wolfies, and hosts of the smaller ones. It was a fabulous day!

Unfortunately Dlh had to bail because of an equipment issue, but hopefully we can dive in the next few days.

Here's a few shots - you should get out and dive the next few days.

ImageP7063849 by thomasnicodemus

ImageP7063860 by thomasnicodemus

ImageP7063794 by thomasnicodemus

ImageP7063842 by thomasnicodemus

ImageP7063823 by thomasnicodemus
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Day Island Wall, 7-06-2014

Post by BASSMAN »

It was an incredible dive. Thanks Mpenders for the adjusted slack / entry timming. And thank you Tom for putting all together
It was good to see EJ again too!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Tom... great pics but especially the wolfie with the mouth full :supz:
It's a good day.... nobody died!
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

So what time did you all splash?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

We were putting our fins on at 6:oo PM, dropped at about 6:15.

The suggestion that worked is to be putting your fins on an hour and 15 minutes before North end narrows slack.

Our drift was perfect, out with the ebb and then back with the flood.

It's a plus that not much water is moving on these exchanges, the reason that the 4 or 5 day window each month is best.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I'm glad you had a great dive! Very nice pics, I love the hungry hippo! (er wolfie...)

I was so disappointed to miss out. Looks like my 1st Stage reg is toast and needs a rebuild. It was blowing overpressure when I turned it on, so didn't even get my feet wet. I guess that's better than having it fail in the water. I'll look forward to our next chance to actually >dive< together.
Dave
<2>diver
Just Settling In

Post by <2>diver »

Dove with Mpenders there the day before too and it was amazing. Even got to see a free swimming wolf eel and a mossy head war bonnet (I think that's what it was called), and a HUGE GPO too. . Big thanks to mike for showing me all of that. Day island is AMAZING. very cool place to go.