Diamond Knot

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Gooch
Submariner

Diamond Knot

Post by Gooch »

Finally diving the knot. Any words of advice from those that have been there? Debating if I want to do a little deco or not. Looking at doing dubs or not. Also debating if I want to dive nitrox (32 - maybe 28) or not. Maybe just air....like most of my dives. Interesting things to see or watch out for? As always, your advice is welcome...
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Diamond Knot

Post by BillZ »

We dove The Knot the weekend before last. When are you going? Are you diving from a private boat or charter?

We did the dive as a light Tech dive on 25/25 with O2 for deco. Our average depth was 110 and max depth was 125 so I definitely wouldn't do it on 32 - you would be limited to the top of the structure. It's an awesome site, the best dive I've done in the Northwest, so you will definitely want to get the most time on the wreck as you can.

Some random thoughts...
- The currents are really squirrely on the wreck and seem to change direction. It would be easy to get swept off so be prepared. Bring a reel (at least 150ft) and a large SMB.
- If you have a scooter, bring it. I was a scooter doubter but the knot has me saving my milk money for a Cuda.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Gooch wrote:Finally diving the knot. Any words of advice from those that have been there? Debating if I want to do a little deco or not. Looking at doing dubs or not. Also debating if I want to dive nitrox (32 - maybe 28) or not. Maybe just air....like most of my dives. Interesting things to see or watch out for? As always, your advice is welcome...
It's worth doing some deco. It's a great dive- most of the wreck is between 60-120'.Seemed like a lot of the best parts were between 90- 120'. Nitrox is a good call. I finally did the Knot 2 years ago, and it was a fantastic dive- very interesting wreck, covered in life, still intact enough that there are some spots you can get inside of a bit without really feeling too much like you really "penetrated."
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I did four dives on the Knot last summer. Each dive was with 32% in a single HP130. That got me about 30-40 minutes of bottom time and no deco obligation. Had a blast.

Some footage: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNOyxm_LAZA
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

As far as advice goes I'd say wear a warm undergarment. The water in the Strait is much colder than the Puget Sound this time of year. I believe it was 44 degrees when I dove it last summer. I dove it in a wetsuit as part of a personal experiment to see how small a scrotum can shrink.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeremy wrote:As far as advice goes I'd say wear a warm undergarment. The water in the Strait is much colder than the Puget Sound this time of year. I believe it was 44 degrees when I dove it last summer. I dove it in a wetsuit as part of a personal experiment to see how small a scrotum can shrink.
Quit making bets with Marcoux :angry: :rjack:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Thanks all for the tips- esp josh- that info is good. It's looking like a deco dive for only the first dive. Maybe a 125 (28%) with a 50% sling- maybe an aux air source. But rec dives after that. I'm really looking forward to diving with some really great guys on a ship I've always wanted to dive. I promise a trip report and will try to take good pics/video. I've always enjoyed the good advice and discussion that you can get here with folks that have done it all. thanks
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!