Advice on redundant computer

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sculpin
Just Settling In

Advice on redundant computer

Post by sculpin »

I am planning on getting a extra computer.
Am thinking of either:
"Suunto Vector Wristop Computer with Compass, Altimeter & Barometer"
or
"Mares Puck Wrist Dive Computer"
both from amazon (yeah i know bad...but)
or a used
"USED Cressi Leonardo Computer Black Gray"

The Suunto is the cheaper of them all so am favoring that one.
Would appreciate some advice on this
Thx
D
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Advice on redundant computer

Post by BillZ »

I don't think the Suunto Vector is a dive computer
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Wouldn't it make sense to get another one of whatever you already have? It seems to me that there are two purposes for having redundant computers. One is as a sanity check on whether your primary one is telling you the truth, and the other is to fill in if the primary fails. If you have two different models, you can't do the first, and you'll have to make sure you always keep both of them happy if you are going to do the second, even if the two disagree about limits.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

This seems to be a relevant ScubaBoard thread about the Suunto:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/comput ... watch.html

Why do you want redundancy? The best computer for you depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want an upgrade, or a computer that you can grow into? Do you want to log stuff on your personal computer? Are you just wondering about the conservatism of different computers?
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Perhaps the OP's primary dive computer is air integrated, making it difficult to add another of the same. Personally I ditched my wiz bang AI computer for a simple brass and glass SPG, and a wrist mount computer.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
sculpin
Just Settling In

Post by sculpin »

my main(and only, so far)dive computer is part of the console attached to the regulator. It grouped together w/the compass & air pressure gauge.
I was thinking of getting a second in case i wind up diving on my own and general safety.
Thank you also BillZ for expressing your doubts about the vector...i wasn't sure either.
D
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I'm going to take a bit different approach. Your profile indicates you have 9 dives, probably more by now but you would seem to be a NW beginner. In the last post you mention [I was thinking of getting a second in case i wind up diving on my own and general safety.]
Uh.....no. Computers don't make you safe. Good diving practices and a good knowledge base make you safe.

I think your discretionary dive dollar is better spent on KEY/IMPORTANT equipment and diving education and practice. People dove safely for decades without computers. It's just a tool. Once you know fully what that tool is, what it does, and what it doesn't do, then you'll be farther along in evaluating what you actually need.

The vast majority of recreational single tank dives in the NW can be done without a computer at all. A depth gauge and a bottom timer is all you really need.
Last edited by fmerkel on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
sculpin
Just Settling In

Post by sculpin »

well ok. good point all. Will save keep my money off the neat extra gadgets (they are so tempting...) and use for more dives instead.
thx
D
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Sp ... tor-Black/

The vector wouldn't do well underwater anyway as its an altimeter.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Waynne Fowler wrote:http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Sp ... tor-Black/

LOL!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Waynne Fowler wrote:http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Sp ... tor-Black/

I rest my point..... :smt064 :)

For reference, it seems there is the merging of the true main diving forces: you run out of air, get high in N2 (but generally not deco level), get cold, and have to pee, all in about a single tank 'hour'. New divers generally don't get half that far, especially if in a wetsuit, which around here is mostly a mistake.

I pulled my dive computer to test out a bottom timer. Didn't bother to swap back for 6 months. For all practical purposes both worked to do the job as well as was needed for my circumstances (single tank-air, recreational dive).
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Agreed! It takes a very relaxed diver, a big tank, and VERY good exposure protection to get into deco trouble at most local shore diving sites!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
sculpin
Just Settling In

Post by sculpin »

that is deco for decompression i'd guess.
& i have a drysuit!
Got it used, perfect fit and have yet to try it out in ow. Did use it in the pool and found out it made for an excellent wetsuit. so had the neck seal replaced w/silicone.

So when is the next dive? sometimes this weekend?

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sculpin wrote:my main(and only, so far)dive computer is part of the console attached to the regulator. It grouped together w/the compass & air pressure gauge.
I was thinking of getting a second in case i wind up diving on my own and general safety.
Thank you also BillZ for expressing your doubts about the vector...i wasn't sure either.
D
You would up your "safety" a lot more by signing up for one of the periodic gas management course offered by one of our local instructors.

Or Bob's online primer.
http://nwgratefuldiver.com/articles/gas.html

Or Lamont's written version
http://blog.scriptkiddie.org/2010/09/19 ... rm5Nm.dpbs

Or Brian and Jeanna's
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/rock-bottom.html

Or all three, they all explain the same basic concept in different ways to appeal to different ways people think.

The reality is that you are highly unlikely to die or even get hurt that bad from DCS. So carrying a second computer isn't really doing you much good. If your primary dies just go up at a reasonable rate, if your gas is unknown you can surface directly from a recreational dive. If you have gas just no more depth info you can follow your buddy's depth or even just guess at what ~20ft is at for a safety stop (based on daylight, the slope, etc). A safety stop is not rocket science, that precise, or even obligatory.

Running out of gas is frequently a trigger for an even bigger disaster tho. Like an embolism, which is generally not survivable. So skip the toys and brush up on understanding how to plan your gas for the dive. Things like "is my tank big enough for what I want to do?", "how long will my tank last at 80ft?" and "how much should I reserve for an emergency at X depth?"

:)
Richard
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The first task would seem to be using the drysuit safely. It's a different tool than the wetsuit. Most people recommend a drysuit instruction course. Minimally you need to go with an experienced diver and spend some directed effort in the shallows getting to know how to deal with it. A pool session is not adequate.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
sculpin
Just Settling In

Post by sculpin »

already got the course,
am ready to hit the water!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

There is another very valid reason for two computers. Money. But they have to be running the same algorithm.
When I spend the money and time to travel somewhere on a trip where iexpect 20-25 dives I don't want it interrupted by a computer problem. If, for whatever reason, one has a problem go with the other. Number two has paid for itself.

Now I need to see if DiveRite will checkout mine.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
sculpin
Just Settling In

Post by sculpin »

good point all. I'll refrain from impulse shopping. get a cat tree for the kids instead and a better pair of gloves.
Cheers all!