UV tank inspection light

Looking to do your DM or Instructorship or taking your skills to the next level with Essentials, Fundamentals, or Intro to Tech training? Post here.
spatman
I've Got Gills

UV tank inspection light

Post by spatman »

Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive but good uv light for inspecting tanks?
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: UV tank inspection light

Post by mz53480 »

...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Don't bother with UV light...
1) most synthetic compressor oils (the most common in use today) will not fluoresce. I wouldn't get fills from a place still using mineral oil honestly, its not nearly as stable and resistant to combustion/CO production.
2) even if there were a material in there excitable by UV, it would have to be so grossly contaminated you'd see it with visible light too.

Not what you asked for, but I volunteered since it seemed relevant to your decision. :)

PS you can make a good inspection light from one of the short light ropes they often sell at Xmas-time.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-E ... /203703596

Some black electrical tape can be used over the base section (6" or so) to help you see around/past the light in the thread area of the tank. Otherwise the glare is pretty harsh and its hard to see very far inside.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Thanks, Richard. I was wondering how necessary it really was.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Hey Matt - So here's a list of supplies you'll need
VIPing your tanks....
Tank light - NESS has one on sale for $15 or you can build one. I use the step light that Richard mentioned and a pen light
Straight edge - I use a metal yard stick
Dental Mirror
Cristo-lube
Tank O-rings for 3/4 in (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190603446383?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT) for 7/8 in (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190896381303?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT)

Valve Rebuilds
- Big crescent wrench
- Torque wrench (you can download the torque specs from the valve manufacturers web site)
- Rubber mallet
- Sonic Cleaner (Harbor freight)
- Vinegar (Costco)
- Industrial Crystal Simple Green
- O-ring Pick
- Valve rebuild kit (NESS)
- Slotted screw driver

Tank Cleaning
-Tank tumbler (can be made from an old treadmill)
- Phosphoric Acid (Chemical supply store -you may be able to use flat diet coke but I've never tried it)
- Media- Steel tanks (I use pea gravel from Home Depot)
- Media - AL Tanks (glass beads)
- Tank Plug (you can use an old valve)
- Air blower - (you can use scuba air - not Nitrox!)
-Access to super hot water
- A tank stand (I made one out of 2X4's)