new record

General banter about diving and why we love it.
deep diver
Pelagic

new record

Post by deep diver »

It's a good day.... nobody died!
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: new record

Post by LowDrag »

That's crazy! 900'+...I can only try imagine what that would be like.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

That's 1091 ft.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

It's only a matter of time until somebody breaks that record again. Kudos to that diver though.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nuts.

In my not so humble opinion.

Didn't even take a camera.... :tomnic:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

People who do this sort of thing bewilder me. Months in preparation untold moneys spent, risking your life and maybe others too with the support staff and for what? vast rewards? no. 14hrs spent underwater and he spent how long at depth? no camera, no photographic record all for a simple piece of paper saying you did it and how long will that record be his?

If it were done for science to develop some wonderful new technology that could change the world as we know it? To me this is just a self indulgent attempt to gain that 15mins of fame!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Especially since the sat commercial guys look at that, yawn and say "that's it?"
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

The way I see it; the person had a dream and a goal, and if they want to spend their money on it, who cares? Logically it makes no sense, but it's not my money nor my life.

More power to them for accomplishing a dream.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

On open circuit no less. 32.12 ATM, and with a good consumption of 0.5 cf/m, an AL80 lasts 5 minutes. I'm guessing he looked like a huge jumble of tanks with two tiny little legs sticking out while descending.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

He must've had a serious case of post-dive munchies and a nitrogen nap that lasted a week.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

He joins the ranks of lots of other pioneers who have carried human spirit forward and led the way for exploration. Expanding the frontiers has been the story in every other area.

Now that he has shown the way before we know it people will be following with methods to work and explore directly.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ArcticDiver wrote:He joins the ranks of lots of other pioneers who have carried human spirit forward and led the way for exploration. Expanding the frontiers has been the story in every other area.

Now that he has shown the way before we know it people will be following with methods to work and explore directly.
Huh?! Really?!? How, pray tell?

Ok, I am going to break my rule about online controversy. (Maybe I'll get banned!!) But this whole thing is nuts from where i sit and doesn't seem to accomplish anything remotely valuable like other exploration.

I can't romanticise this thing even a bit.

I'm all about exploration and pushing the boundaries of human knowledge, new frontiers, and the human spirit, etc. But to call this "exploration" is a huge stretch IMNSHO. It is not for me to judge the guy's heart or motives, which are his own, none of my business, and God bless him. That said, i cannot see and do not understand any huge significance in this. Difficult? Of course? Worthwhile beyond the guy's own ego? Hard for me to see although I'm willing to be schooled.

This was not exploration. This was a guy pushing his body to what some would consider ludicrous and unnecessary limits, using a team of a bunch of people to get him gas on the way up and down and attempt to rescue him should he lose consciousness. He sunk to 1,000 ft and managed to stay conscious. And survived decompression. LOTS of it. Impressive... i guess. ... But noble?

I say ludicrous and unnecessary because where he was going could be done by other means easily and safely. All he did was sink and come up, decompressing for hours and hours.

He found nothing because he was looking for nothing. He sunk and came back up.

No one will do what he did except as an attempt to break his 'record'. It does not open up new frontiers.

It is just my opinion. Reading about the guy's wife and kid made me go 'huh'?

If this guy wants to do it, go for it and good luck. But to put him in the category of great explorers and pioneers diminishes the others.

In my opinion, of course.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Tom, your opinion is the "other side" of most of history. Same things were said about the first people to fly, the first to fly supersonic, the first to climb Mt. Everest, the first to do a lot of things. Those who explored remote areas, and the ocean is pretty remote. Indeed there was little immediate usefulness to their actions. Much the same can be said of pure science discoveries. Many are done out of a sense of curiosity and self satisfaction. Engineering comes later.

But, once the first step is done, others take the that knowledge and use it for the nest step. I guess the next thing will be to figure out a way to stay longer, or use less resources, or, who knows what? That is the beauty of science and discovery. We haven't a clue where it will lead, except to more knowledge.

Faster, higher, deeper, longer have been human goals probably since we were an identifiable species. This guy and his team contributed to that.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Are you really comparing this guy to the wright brothers? How has this guy's achievement benefitted anyone other than himself?

This guy is at best a sports hero for breaking an existing record. Like whoever holds the record for eating the most hot dogs at a county fair contest.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:Are you really comparing this guy to the wright brothers? How has this guy's achievement benefitted anyone other than himself?

This guy is at best a sports hero for breaking an existing record. Like whoever holds the record for eating the most hot dogs at a county fair contest.
This.

For me, anyway, there is a difference between saying "that's crazy, I wouldn't do it", and saying "that's crazy".

All of the examples mentioned in the above post, while not things I would personally do, are things I can applaud, be impressed by, and see benefit in.

As a diver, opposed to say, a pilot - this just strikes me as largely pointless other than putting your name out there.

And I figure since the "to infinity and beyond" perspective was already well represented in this thread I would go a bit in the other direction, perhaps not all the way to the hot dog guy, but certainly not Wright Brothers.

I know - this to me is like the difference between Jackie Robinson in baseball and Babe Ruth in baseball. Both were amazing, both broke records, but only one had significance.

Anyway, I said my piece / peace - I'm good, and there are obviously those who differ, their right, of course, and thus the world goes around.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

No sweat Tom. We are having the same discussion that has been had for a lot of years between different people. Time will tell. In the meantime, his event didn't cost any of us a dime or a minute but it did motivate us to think a bit.