NEED A BUDDY AND GOOD CRAB PICKING SITE

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
lkwdryan
Just Settling In

NEED A BUDDY AND GOOD CRAB PICKING SITE

Post by lkwdryan »

I am going to try and find some crab this Saturday and Sunday. Where is a good site to look? Who can come with? I have picked some from the shallow cove at westport,but thats the only spot I know.
Last edited by lkwdryan on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: NEED A BUDDY AND GOOD CRAB PICKING SITE

Post by Linedog »

Is it crabbing season? I have no clue.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
lkwdryan
Just Settling In

Post by lkwdryan »

I sure hope it's crabbing season! Or this could be expensive......
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Are you down south? If you don't mind drivin' north, the oil docks at muk while they're still there are pretty hard to beat...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
lkwdryan
Just Settling In

Post by lkwdryan »

I am south but I will make the trip if you can show me around. I don't know the area. Let me know, I'm going wherever I can find a buddy.....
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

I might be able to go on Saturday after work. I get off at 1pm. Mukilteo is always a great site for crabbing although it's a bit of a walk. I can show you around if my pregnant wife lets me go. I'll keep you updated.
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

[img]C:\Users\Scott\Pictures\Google+%20Auto%20Backup\2014-09-22\IMG_7249.JPG[/img]

Crab season is closed in most areas. A winter season might be available.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
lkwdryan
Just Settling In

Post by lkwdryan »

Crabbing season is indeed open again according to WDFW's website anyhow. A few areas are closed, but most are open or limited season which means no traps but you can grab em!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Scuba Scott wrote:[img]C:\Users\Scott\Pictures\Google+%20Auto%20Backup\2014-09-22\IMG_7249.JPG[/img]

Crab season is closed in most areas. A winter season might be available.
For the record you cannot link to an image that is locally on your PC. Your best bet is to click the upload attachment tab below your posting window to add the image.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Scuba Scott wrote:Image[/img]

I let the crab come to my trap. So much easier.
This one didn't work as you had a mess of Image
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Per WDFW website,
September 30, 2014
Rich Childers, (360) 302-3030, ext. 303

Most areas of Puget Sound reopen
Oct. 1 for late-season crab fishing

OLYMPIA - Most marine areas of Puget Sound will reopen for recreational crab fishing Oct. 1, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today.

The openings were approved by fishery managers after summer catch assessments by WDFW indicated more crab are available for harvest, said Rich Childers, shellfish manager for the department.

Waters reopening to sport crabbing Oct. 1 at 8 a.m. include marine areas 4 (Neah Bay), 5 (Sekiu), 6 (eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca), 7 (San Juan Islands), 8-1 (Deception Pass, Hope Island, and Skagit Bay), 8-2 (Port Susan and Port Gardner), 9 (Admiralty Inlet), 12 (Hood Canal), and 13 (South Puget Sound).

In each area, crabbing will be allowed seven days a week through Dec. 31.

Sport crabbing will not reopen at this time in marine areas 10 (Seattle/Bremerton Area) and 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island).

The daily catch limit in Puget Sound is five Dungeness crab, males only, in hard-shell condition with a minimum carapace width of 6¼ inches. In addition, fishers may catch six red rock crab of either sex per day, provided those crab measure at least 5 inches across. Additional information is available on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/crab/.

All Dungeness crab caught in the late-season fishery must be recorded on winter catch cards, which are valid through Dec. 31. Winter cards – free to those with crab endorsements – are available at license vendors across the state.

Winter catch reports are due to WDFW by Feb. 1, 2015. For more information on catch record cards, visit WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/crab/crc.html.

Good Luck!

Mike