Finally committing

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Finally committing

Post by mrtheandrew »

Welp, I've been lurking for some time now. My brother-in-law, who has been diving for a little over a year, has rejuvenated an old desire to dive that I had experienced 15 years ago in Hawaii after taking a few instructor-led dives. And yes, I know there is a BIG difference in the water up here, lol.

I'm currently away for work, but will be taking my OW cert this spring. I've been doing a lot of research on gear, locations, etc., and have compiled quite a wishlist on leisurepro and at my local shop. My primary goals are exploration, the occasional crabbing, and some freshwater lake exploration.

Can't wait for the spring and getting in the water!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Finally committing

Post by Dusty2 »

Why wait? The water is a lot better this time of year.
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

Sadly, because I'm out of town until then. I'd do it today if i was home, and the Hawks were done pounding Denver into the ground :supz:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

There Done! and Denver is going to remember this whomping for a LONG time! :rofl:
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Welcome to the board
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Welcome to the addiction!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have any experience with leisurepro and having to swap out a suit that didn't fit right? I have debated for a long while with a size chart and think I finally narrowed down what I need. Their exchange program seems pretty decent.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

mrtheandrew wrote:Thanks everyone! Does anyone have any experience with leisurepro and having to swap out a suit that didn't fit right? I have debated for a long while with a size chart and think I finally narrowed down what I need. Their exchange program seems pretty decent.
I have used them often. They have never raised a fuss with a return. Very responsive.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

I haven't bought suits from them, but have picked up some other items, and I am impressed with shipment times, and customer service so far.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

Been a while since I had made my commitment, but I'm happy to say that I completed my OW cert today! I have all of my gear except a tank, which I will be getting tomorrow.

Hopefully I will get to join up with some of the local dives soon, as my current buddy lives 2hrs south.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Congratulations!!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Suit? Hope it's a drysuit....... :stir:
Congrats on OW1. Get a few dives in (6-12 in pretty short order would be optimal) then take Advanced. Don't be sucked in by the "Advanced" terminology. It really should be "mostly qualified to stay alive in cold water".
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

Hollis neotek semi-dry, with a lava core shorty underneath. Got a killer price on it, and put more into getting the bp/w setup i wanted. I felt great to 60ft for both dives today, and during the surface interval and in the parking lot. Although, it wasnt 33 degrees out either. Ill invest in a drysuit later, as the cold has never really bothered me much.

Id really like to get the night diver and extra depth from the advanced course.