FL diver visiting in Dec

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
trigger-f
Getting To Know Folks

FL diver visiting in Dec

Post by trigger-f »

Hello fellow divers,

I am interested in diving in WA and will be there in December in Bellingham. I assume water temps will be in the upper 40's? Is it advisable/doable to dive in a thick 8mm dry-suit or similar wet suit? I mostly dive in Central West FL and have not done any diving below 65F. Also, what are some good diving sites close to Bellingham? Some other NW divers have suggested Anacortes on Scubaboard. Also, is there any diving on Birch Bay (I like that area a lot). I am only aware of Keystone jetty on Whidbey Island as a dive site, was there at the park years ago. Note: I am not dry suit certified. Down here I do a lot of solo shore diving, less than 45 feet but I understand Puget Sound is a different animal (if there's any group of divers going out between Dec 19-31, let me know).

Thanks in advance.
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Re: FL diver visiting in Dec

Post by mrtheandrew »

Im brand new to diving, and use an 8/7/6mm hollis semi-dry. It has seals on the wrists and ankles, with an attached hood, but you might as well call it a wetsuit. Im plenty comfortable right now, but getting out of your suit or a long surface interval might be a little intense in december.
trigger-f
Getting To Know Folks

Post by trigger-f »

Thanks for the info. I've read some reviews online and it seems other divers were comfortable using this semi dry suit in 45F water temp. Not sure if waters temps drop below that in the winter? To my understanding typical water temps are 55F in the summer, 45F in the winter. I don't plan on doing more than 1-2 dives (probably 2 but on different days, if possible).
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

It's the surface interval that sucks. I've had ice form on me more than once.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
trigger-f
Getting To Know Folks

Post by trigger-f »

Wow, you kidding? Last Dec when I visited, surface temps were 38F+ (in Bellingham). I assume further south by Seattle it's always warmer. You must be talking about super windy conditions.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Water temps in late December should be somewhere between 45 and 48 degrees.

I've never heard of anyone diving in Birch Bay, from what I've been told the visibility around Bellingham is horrible because of Mt Baker runoff. Most of the Bellingham divers that I know come down south and dive our north Puget Sound divesites.

As far as northern divesites go Deception Pass is spectacular but you have to know what you're doing in order to time the currents correctly. If you hit it wrong it can definitely ruin your day. Skyline Wall in Anacortes is a great dive but again, not a site that you'd want to dive without knowing what you're doing. Rosario Beach is decent and would probably be your best bet for a non current sensitive intro to Puget Sound dive.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

There were some time during Dec that the top 20ft were in the high 30's, but that isn't the norm. But surface temps were around 10 degree's when I felt my house around 5am for a boat dive for Day Island Wall.

I've look for sites around Birch Bay... not worth it... to slilty and shallow.

Your best option, is to go into Canada around the Vancouver area... lots of sites up there.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
trigger-f
Getting To Know Folks

Post by trigger-f »

I've just checked some videos on Rosario Beach. That would work since it's close to B'ham. Been to Deception Pass many times and have seen some videos. Strikes me as wall diving, I'd definitely need a guide or a local that knows the tides/currents (even though I've been to Komodo, I can probably handle those) :) We're planning for a daily trip to Vancouver too(what are some of their dive sites, mainly suited to newbies in cold water diving)? Anything around White Rock?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I seem to recall that shore access to Deception Pass closes for the winter, unfortunately, although that may have changed. That doesn't preclude a boat dive though.

Speaking of, our local charters are awesome in the winter - warm soup, warm beverages, and a place to change out of wet gear.

Whytecliff Park is a popular spot near Vancouver. http://vancouverscubadivingschool.ca/whytecliff-park/

Or take the ferry over to Nanaimo and check out the wrecks and whatnot over there.

http://www.divingbc.com/nanaimo.htm
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

You are correct on road access, it is close during the winter months for Deception Pass.

Careful on the wrecks during the winter (as some have found out), charters won't go if winds are from the SE and more 10mgh
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
trigger-f
Getting To Know Folks

Post by trigger-f »

Penopolypants wrote:I seem to recall that shore access to Deception Pass closes for the winter, unfortunately, although that may have changed. That doesn't preclude a boat dive though.

Speaking of, our local charters are awesome in the winter - warm soup, warm beverages, and a place to change out of wet gear.

Whytecliff Park is a popular spot near Vancouver. http://vancouverscubadivingschool.ca/whytecliff-park/

Or take the ferry over to Nanaimo and check out the wrecks and whatnot over there.

http://www.divingbc.com/nanaimo.htm
Thanks for the info. I'll check the links out.