A thank you to Veterans

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

A thank you to Veterans

Post by oldsalt »

For me, this is an emotional topic. I am alive today because of the risk and sacrifice of many vets from several services. Several brave sailors risked their lives to recover what they thought was my dead body. I can never thank them enough. An Army helo crew braved fire to pick me up. I never can thank them enough. I had additional evacuations in Marine and Air Force aircraft. I never can thank them enough. Army, Air Force, and Navy hospital staffs treated me so I could return to duty. I never can thank them enough. On further reflection, I realize I survived the most routine of missions only because of the many who served with me did their jobs. I never can thank them enough. I know it continues on today, that there are those out there still serving. Thank you.
-Curt :salute:
Happy to be alive.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: A thank you to Veterans

Post by Linedog »

Yes, thank you to all who serve or have served.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thank you. Deeply.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

A massive heartfelt amen to that.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thank you veterans! And thank you oldsalt!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Great post! And an enthusiastic Thank You!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

While I am grateful to veterans for their service, I wonder how many people remember the original significance of November 11. It was initially called Armistice Day, and celebrated the end of a war rather than the people who have served in wars. I wish we could honor the day as a recognition that there needs to be fewer wars and therefore fewer veterans to honor.

In a day and age when 60,000 of our veterans are homeless and living on the streets ... when municipalities all across our nation are passing laws making it illegal for them to find decent places to eat and sleep in an attempt to drive them out of their cities ... when politicians in Washington DC are cutting aid to veterans and when VA hospitals are in a shambles ... I can think of more meaningful ways to honor our veterans than giving them a holiday.

How about when they come home broken from serving America's "interests" abroad, we demand from our politicians ... both in Washington DC and in the cities in which we live ... that they honor them by taking better care of them, rather than making them the victims of budget cuts and urban enhancement projects ... they deserve far more than just an acknowledgement one day a year for what they did ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I can empathize with Old Salt's post. If it hadn't been for a helicopter pilot and crew breaking orders I wouldn't be here today.

As I travel the phrase "Thank you for your service" is one I commonly hear. To be blunt that doesn't keep the snow and rain off. Those words don't fill the belly. Nor do they chase away the demons.

Every person who ventured forth to do their nation's bidding without regard to personal cost deserves more than words, no matter the good intent of those words. They deserve decent housing, adequate food and competent medical care. Yes, that is expensive. But they stood up for all. Can all do any less for them?

Another way: The numbers of homeless, unemployed and ill veterans are a disgrace to a nation that is the wealthiest and most powerful in the history of the world.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.