Hooray, I can now take medicore pictures (very very easily)!

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
carlk3
Aquaphile

Hooray, I can now take medicore pictures (very very easily)!

Post by carlk3 »

Greetings,

Back in July, you came to my rescue when I posted "Help make my terrible photos medicore".
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... k3#p256509
Thanks in part to your advice, I'm now happy with my photography set up, so I thought I would report back for the benefit of others looking for something super simple.

The Set Up:
  • GoPro Hero 4 Silver
  • Magenta Filter from Polar Pro
  • Floating Camera Handle
  • GoPro Anti-Fog Inserts
  • Turn on Hero 4's "QuikCapture" feature and set for Video Mode
  • Set Video mode for 2704x1520
  • Set Protune, Color=Flat, Sharness=Low(?), EV Comp=1(?)
Underwater, you start with the camera off. When you want to take a picture, press the shutter button and the GoPro will start taking 2.7K video at 30FPS. Now, you just aim and try to hold the camera steady. (The shutter is 1/30th of a second). After a few seconds, press the shutter button again and the GoPro turns off.

Back on shore, when you have all the time in world, grab the frames of interest and color correct. Here some results from today at Alki in about 40 fsw.
SeaCuk.jpg
an4.jpg
nanAndAn.jpg
Here is a frame before color correction:
SeaCukUn.jpg

A picture of whole (tiny) setup:
WP_20141122_17_50_42_Pro.jpg
Thanks again for everyone's help,
- Carl
carlk3
Aquaphile

Re: Hooray, I can now take medicore pictures (very very easi

Post by carlk3 »

Hi, I'm trying to gauge interest in a better write up (and maybe a YouTube tutorial).
  • For divers who don't want the hassle of lights, do you think the Hero4 offers something new?
  • Are there other under-$500 cameras with ISO 6400 (which I think is what allows the 1/30 sec shutter under 40' of green water)?
Thanks!
- Carl

p.s. Today, I worked out an easier (and free) after-the-dive workflow for color correction and pulling stills.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hooray, I can now take medicore pictures (very very easi

Post by Norris »

Keep it up, underwater photography/video is a good time.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**