CO detectors

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

CO detectors

Post by Rooinater »

In prep for our trip in a few months I started looking at CO detectors for vacation again, along with the last post. I know we get fills in more questionable locale on vaca... I'm not super worried about my air where I get fills locally, it gets tested a lot, and the testing is posted. The CO detectors have always been super expensive till I found this... which makes it super affordable. Anyone used this brand?
http://sensorcon.com/products/portable- ... a-and-dive
yadayada
Aquaphile

Re: CO detectors

Post by yadayada »

We got one at our store - we had for only a few weeks, but it seems to work well so far. Feel free to come and check it out
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Requires recalibration every 180 days which is an issue...

Many of the other units on the market are not intended to be recalibrated or they are only supposed to be bumped tested. E.g. you get a small vial of 25ppm gas and make sure the meter will "bump" up to 23-27 ppm but don't actually recalibrate it. 25ppm CO can be shipped by USPS/UPS. Actual calibration gases (typically 100ppm and sometimes 1000ppm as well) cannot be shipped and are truck freight only items.

The first alarm state at 35ppm is way too high. Current standards as I mentioned in the other thread are 5 or 10 ppm depending on whose standard you want to use. I consider anything above the variance of the meter as unusable, so 2ppm is my personal threshold. I am not going to assume a reading of 8 ppm is "good" based on an instrument that is not laboratory grade and calibrated at some mysterious point in the past.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Do you really wait for an alarm? It's resolution is 1ppm, I don't care about the alarm, I can read numbers just fine when I'm analyzing a tank. I can easily take note of a high reading if I know what I'm looking for. The Oxycheq is +/-2ppm resolution, alarm of 10ppm with 0.5ppm drift per year. 6.0ppm drift annually with the Analox.
http://www.oxycheq.com/oxycheq-expediti ... alarm.html

right in their FAQ, calibration for the average joe is 2 years if you want a rough idea of the ppm. Different for specific applications. EMT and hospital staff 6 to 12 months. For prescision professionals who need within 10% or less every 3 to 6 months. The drift on the Oxycheq is more than 10% ppm a year which would only be about a 0.1 drift...
http://sensorcon.com/solutions-support/ ... faqs#q8.3F
Last edited by Rooinater on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I'll have to swing in your shop and check it out.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you don't want an opinion then don't ask for one.

I bump test my oxycheq but its not intended for consumer recalibration. It seems to be steady. However, even thought its a rebranded CO monitor I would avoid anything from oxycheq honestly, their service and customer support is bottom of the barrel IMHO.

The analox is a time proven unit. Also not user recalibrated just bumped tested.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I did want an opinion, and your opinion greatly helped toward finding further information to compare the models. On my phone with the bad font it looked like 3.5ppm, not 35ppm on their site this morning. Sorry if swyping fast on break on my phone at work came off as harsh... I'm just surprised there wasn't more mispellings. Thanks
yadayada
Aquaphile

Post by yadayada »

Rooinater wrote:I'll have to swing in your shop and check it out.
We're still on early stage business hours:
tue-fri 4pm-7pm
sat and sun 7am-4pm
monday closed