Sund Rock - 12/7/14

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Sund Rock - 12/7/14

Post by Scubie Doo »

Well I have been traveling a lot for work and I have been in a bit of a photography/dive slump. Nothing in particular, just kind of a slump. Lots of shots and mediocre results. On Sunday, EJ and I hit Sund Rock (after the Colts game of course) for a late afternoon/night dive. The goal on dive #1 was to see the cloud sponges and hopefully get out of my slump with some decorated warbonnet shots. I have seen/photographed warbonnets, I have seen/photographed cloud sponges, but I have never photographed both together. I have seen beautiful shots of warbonnets in cloud sponges, and have always wanted to check it off my photography list. EJ and I headed to the cloud sponges and upon arrival, there were warbonnets everywhere. I counted 6 inside the sponges and another 2 laying out in the open. Definitely the most I have ever seen on one dive. Here are a few of my favorites, you can click to see all of the shots.

On the second dive we hit the north wall and wreck. Found a cool stubby, octo, and wolfeels. Also saw millions of little squat lobsters (I know ScubaJess can appreciate that :-)

BTW - After our first dive, two other divers said they saw a 6-8' six-gill on the south wall at 60'. Has anyone encountered six-gills in the hood canal? I don't remember hearing that, but wanted to run it by the forum.

Have an awesome week everyone!
maelstrom
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Sund Rock - 12/7/14

Post by maelstrom »

Those are really nice. I especially like the first one.

Hal
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Wow amazing pictures!!!!
Decorated war bonnets in clouds sponges!! Man that's awesome!

All your photos are great & I love the squat lobster one!!! :popcorn:
Crazy about the shark! :pirate:

Thanks for letting me use your tank!
I just got it filled so I can get it back to you.

:) ScubaJess
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I haven't seen a squat lobster close-up in quite a while -- I always adore their "smiley faces".

That second warbonnet has quite the topknot!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Six Gills have been common on and off in Hood Canal. Like everywhere else you have to be at the right place at the right time to see one. And there seem to be several sightings for awhile, then none for a long while.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wonderful shots of one of my favorite fish!

The teeth in the black and white shot give him such an interesting "expression"!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Scubie Doo wrote:Well I have been traveling a lot for work and I have been in a bit of a photography/dive slump. Nothing in particular, just kind of a slump. Lots of shots and mediocre results. On Sunday, EJ and I hit Sund Rock (after the Colts game of course) for a late afternoon/night dive. The goal on dive #1 was to see the cloud sponges and hopefully get out of my slump with some decorated warbonnet shots. I have seen/photographed warbonnets, I have seen/photographed cloud sponges, but I have never photographed both together. I have seen beautiful shots of warbonnets in cloud sponges, and have always wanted to check it off my photography list. EJ and I headed to the cloud sponges and upon arrival, there were warbonnets everywhere. I counted 6 inside the sponges and another 2 laying out in the open. Definitely the most I have ever seen on one dive. Here are a few of my favorites, you can click to see all of the shots.
Looks like you broke your dry spell! You got some epic shots! I like the first!

Where are the cloud sponges at that site? Sounds like warbonnet heaven!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

maelstrom wrote:Those are really nice. I especially like the first one.

Hal
Thank you very much Hal!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

ScubaJess wrote:Wow amazing pictures!!!!
Decorated war bonnets in clouds sponges!! Man that's awesome!

All your photos are great & I love the squat lobster one!!! :popcorn:
Crazy about the shark! :pirate:

Thanks for letting me use your tank!
I just got it filled so I can get it back to you.

:) ScubaJess
I knew you would like the squat lobster, thought of you when I posted it :)

Don't worry about the tank, keep using it and I'll get it back next time we dive together.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LCF wrote:I haven't seen a squat lobster close-up in quite a while -- I always adore their "smiley faces".

That second warbonnet has quite the topknot!
Thanks Lynne :) it warmed up, did you snap out of your cold weather dive funk???
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tom Nic wrote:Wonderful shots of one of my favorite fish!

The teeth in the black and white shot give him such an interesting "expression"!
Agreed Tom. I was so jazzed, love those warbonnets.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:Well I have been traveling a lot for work and I have been in a bit of a photography/dive slump. Nothing in particular, just kind of a slump. Lots of shots and mediocre results. On Sunday, EJ and I hit Sund Rock (after the Colts game of course) for a late afternoon/night dive. The goal on dive #1 was to see the cloud sponges and hopefully get out of my slump with some decorated warbonnet shots. I have seen/photographed warbonnets, I have seen/photographed cloud sponges, but I have never photographed both together. I have seen beautiful shots of warbonnets in cloud sponges, and have always wanted to check it off my photography list. EJ and I headed to the cloud sponges and upon arrival, there were warbonnets everywhere. I counted 6 inside the sponges and another 2 laying out in the open. Definitely the most I have ever seen on one dive. Here are a few of my favorites, you can click to see all of the shots.
Looks like you broke your dry spell! You got some epic shots! I like the first!

Where are the cloud sponges at that site? Sounds like warbonnet heaven!
Eric, thank you dude. I will pm you with the location. Don't want to "advertise" due to depth and how fragile they are.
lynchpit2
Avid Diver

Post by lynchpit2 »

Scubie, sending you a PM.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It may be warmer, but it's still dark and raining . . . and the traffic is always worse when it's wet :(. I need to snap out of it, but I'm leaving for MX in four days, so it looks like it will be January before I'm back in local water.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Impressive shots! I especially like the first two! Nice job, Jessie!
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

LCF wrote:It may be warmer, but it's still dark and raining . . . and the traffic is always worse when it's wet :(. I need to snap out of it, but I'm leaving for MX in four days, so it looks like it will be January before I'm back in local water.
You will get back from Mexico by January and we will land there Jan 6. Counting the days. You can play in your caves and we will explore the ocean. Have a good time.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KeithBoll wrote:Impressive shots! I especially like the first two! Nice job, Jessie!
Thanks Keith, we need to dive again soon :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LCF wrote:It may be warmer, but it's still dark and raining . . . and the traffic is always worse when it's wet :(. I need to snap out of it, but I'm leaving for MX in four days, so it looks like it will be January before I'm back in local water.
Ok, let's dive when you return. Have an awesome trip :D
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome shots! Man, wish I coulda went with you guys. Nice work!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Awesome shots! Man, wish I coulda went with you guys. Nice work!
Me too, we really missed you, what were you doing on Sunday Mr. Gdog that pulled you away from such a beautiful dive?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Me too, we really missed you, what were you doing on Sunday Mr. Gdog that pulled you away from such a beautiful dive?
Hahaha. The wife was going to take him shopping.
Next time, bring her to Hoodsport, and log her into amazon.com at the hoodsport coffee co!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:
Next time, bring her to Hoodsport, and log her into amazon.com at the hoodsport coffee co!
Eric, you weren't supposed to publicize the fact that George was at Victoria's Secret instead of at Sund Rock.

George, Arlene definitely owes you one :)
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

YellowEye wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:
Really, this is the only civilized way to do such things. :joshsmith:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Scubie Doo wrote:
I had wife duty. As in get the christmas tree, put it up, go christmas shopping, ect.....
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Scubie Doo wrote:
YellowEye wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:
Eric, you weren't supposed to publicize the fact that George was at Victoria's Secret instead of at Sund Rock.

George, Arlene definitely owes you one :)
Somehow Jesse, she doesnt seem to see it that way at all! It sounds like I still owe her!