Cancun area

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Cancun area

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I am looking for suggestions on where to go for a weeks vacation in March. 10 years ago I went to Akumal for Cave 1. I am not looking to do to much diving. Maybe a couple of nice guided caverns (as it’s been 10 years since I have done a cave dive). I think I would like to see Chichen-itza. I would like to visit some caves that are off the beaten track. I would like to see some wild animals.

I know a lot of you go there frequently so that is why I am asking here.

I am wondering what area should I stay in that would be close to the activities I would like to do and looking for suggestions.

Thanks.
Jeff
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Cancun area

Post by LCF »

It sounds as though Tulum would be a good place to base yourself. There are lot of lodging options there, from all-inclusive resorts to small and fairly minimal, almost camping-type places. Lots of restaurants, some of them very good. I can give you some recommendations for Cenote guides -- they won't be DIR, but they're good folks. Tulum is close to the Sian Kaan Biosphere Reserve, which may be one of the best options for seeing wildlife. I don't know if you can go there without a guide, though. Coba is just a half hour up the road, and I really enjoyed going up there for a day, once Kirk made me do it :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames