flexible fill hose

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

flexible fill hose

Post by Alaska-Herb »

I am looking for a highly flexible hose option to put on my small fill compressor ( max air 35) so that it will be less likely to be damaged in storage on my boat. I was wondering if I can use the a HP scuba hose like the off brand miflex hoses for pressure gauges or if you know a better source. Any ideas out there right now I have the fairly stiff hard plastic like hoses and they take a pretty large coil.
thanks
Herb
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: flexible fill hose

Post by CaptnJack »

The swagged on HP scuba hose ends will have a tiny tiny orifice in them. And it will be a pain to have oring boss to NPT adapters everywhere.

What kinds of pressures do you pump to? How long of a piece are you looking for?

My first suggestion is to go in person to a hydraulic supply store and tell them you need a flexible 3/16" or 1/4" ID hose with 1/4" NPT fittings and see what they have. Bend a sample to confirm it will work for you. Have them swag it up, wash it well and your good. Should be fairly cheap if you have no need for >40% O2/Teflon.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Thanks capt Jack I am only pumping air so no o2 cleaning worries What I was confused on is that air hose and the cleaned hydraulic lines are same thing? Pressures are no more than 4000 psi I fill 3450s and if I am gong with a hot fill i might hit 3800 psi to account for cooling however if this is cheap enough I would change out my new to me big compressor which is a max air 90 and should be able to hit 5000 psi but will never exceed the 4500 psi rating on my one carbon fiber tank.... unless I later get a bank set up but then again I wont be pumping higher than the 5000 psi

SO just clean with simple green a correctly made up to match the fill valves a hydraulic line is that correct
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yeah you can use many types of hydraulic hose. I wouldn't reuse a used hose, the oil is almost impossible to fully remove. But a new one can be cleaned to get the manufacturing oils off of it and then it should be fine. Many are actually Viton lined since it resists oils so well.

You should be able to find 5000psi hydraulic hose at most shops. Try bending a piece in person to make sure it will work. You can also check out the parker catalog online, see which ones are suitable for air, then call around and see who might stock it.

Parker catalog (warning its like 41Mb!)
http://www.parker.com/literature/Hose%2 ... Linked.pdf

The catalog has the minimum radius for every hose. However that might be tighter than the "preferred radius" so your coil is likely to be bigger. In person bending is the best way to know.

Unfortunately most shops don't stock every conceivable hose so you might need to do some hunting to find a tight coiling, Viton core, 5000psi hose with suitable fittings in stock. Each shop probably has different special ordering requirements.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

One of the problems with generic hoses is that a LOT of people will buy rubber lined ones which are fine until there is a filter failure. Modern synthetic compressor oils are tough on rubber and can accelerate decomposition. Go with 3/16" breathing air hose and most of the hose places that build hydraulic hoses can get you that hose as well. Basically it is the same but with a nylon inner hose instead of rubber.

There is also a micro bore fill hose that is VERY flexible but costs about 50% more than standard. You can get them through Coltri distributors (like me :) ) or from the UK (the name in the annoying picture).
Attachments
microbore.gif
microbore.gif (486.09 KiB) Viewed 1990 times