New Boat at Redondo?

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
bschnabel
Avid Diver

New Boat at Redondo?

Post by bschnabel »

Went diving tonight at Redondo and we saw a boat that nobody had seen before. The boats name is "The Black Pearl" it was located southwest of the boat that GPO lives under, maybe 30 ft away @ about 68ft. It looks like it is very recent, speedboat of some sort.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Re: New Boat at Redondo?

Post by FlyinV »

That is interesting.....
Redondo does need some additional reef structures for our diving enjoyment.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... not more junk, though ... rock reefs would be better ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Another VW would be good! It used to be home for a lot of marine life back when it still looked like a VW :supz:

A load of large riffraff spread out down there would become a great reef but I don't see it ever happening
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... we get riffraff at our dive sites frequently ... usually hanging out in the parking lot. I believe you meant to say rip rap, which is rocks ... and I've already demonstrated that it can be done at Redondo. The rocks are already there ... all it takes is someone determined to move them.

The problem with putting another car in the water is that it's a pollutant ... and while it will attract wildlife, as any shelter will, it will also put gasoline and oil into the Sound, which we already have too much of.

I have to wonder if the cumulative effect of all that junk in the water at Redondo is why we rarely see nudibranchs there anymore. A dozen years ago ... prior to a lot of that stuff going down ... it was common to see multiple species that you just never see there anymore ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I used to know the people who originally put the VW down there and they were VERY careful to remove pollutants, gas, oil etc from it before they put it in the water. Just a quick note from the loose-ends department.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dwashbur wrote:I used to know the people who originally put the VW down there and they were VERY careful to remove pollutants, gas, oil etc from it before they put it in the water. Just a quick note from the loose-ends department.
Yet they left the rubber tires, vinyl seats, plastic coated wires, etc etc. Pollutants aren't just liquids. Look at how much prep goes into sinking a ship for a reef and tell us again how they were so VERY careful when they ran that VW down the boat ramp.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

spatman wrote:
dwashbur wrote:I used to know the people who originally put the VW down there and they were VERY careful to remove pollutants, gas, oil etc from it before they put it in the water. Just a quick note from the loose-ends department.
Yet they left the rubber tires, vinyl seats, plastic coated wires, etc etc. Pollutants aren't just liquids. Look at how much prep goes into sinking a ship for a reef and tell us again how they were so VERY careful when they ran that VW down the boat ramp.
Well, haha, I thought someone went on a bad one, long party night, racing down the hill in their old bug, no brakes, next thing you know we have a bug to dive around!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Someone did dump a pickup truck off the boat ramp last year ... with no prep at all. Apparently it was a stolen vehicle.

I just saw the video of the "new" boat ... looks like a piece of trash that someone just scuttled because it's the cheapest way for them to get rid of it. They're going to remove it ... and I hope they can find out who put it down there and stick them with the removal cost, as well as any fines the Dept. of Ecology deems appropriate.

... if we want reefs, then let's work toward building proper ones through channels like the WSA, and not just keep dumping trash into the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

Where is the video?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

One man's treasure is another man's trash imo.

Truth be told...people dive where the junk is.

Although...I happen to be a fan of natural sites without junk. I had a fantastic dive at Fey Bainbridge state park last weekend. The bottom was filled with giant sea pen forests and nudibranchs. Stuff you never see at our common junk sites. I loved it...but there are those who would consider that a boring dive and would rather go see a sunken boat.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

While they are getting rid of it, maybe they can get rid of those stupid sharks too. Just an idea...
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Forgot about those ... I so rarely dive on that side of Redondo anymore ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

WylerBear wrote:While they are getting rid of it, maybe they can get rid of those stupid sharks too. Just an idea...
But weren't those put down there by the same person who took the video of and is complaining about the boat?
Jenn
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

Grateful Diver wrote:Forgot about those ... I so rarely dive on that side of Redondo anymore ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Where do you dive at Redondo? I dive there every week, would like to see something different.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
WylerBear wrote:While they are getting rid of it, maybe they can get rid of those stupid sharks too. Just an idea...
But weren't those put down there by the same person who took the video of and is complaining about the boat?
... the same person who's been working with DNR and WSA to get a real reef installed at Redondo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

bschnabel wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Forgot about those ... I so rarely dive on that side of Redondo anymore ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Where do you dive at Redondo? I dive there every week, would like to see something different.
South of the boat ramp ... with some caveats. Those being, once the boat docks go in, stay well south of the boat ramp when entering and exiting. And when boats are in the water, avoid surface swimming. I saw a few incidents last year involving boaters and divers that were worrisome ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Grateful Diver wrote:
enchantmentdivi wrote:
... the same person who's been working with DNR and WSA to get a real reef installed at Redondo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
So, the sharks are "approved"?
Jenn
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Huh, I saw those last night, apparently I haven't dove Redondo for a long time. They are just as bad as those cemented joke signs that were complained about as well... Hope they had a permit for those sharks as well...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I have no idea about the sharks ... personally I think they're an eyesore. As I said earlier, I don't dive that side much anymore because I'm tired of looking at all the junk ... I don't see a need for any more. Redondo has become a living example of the "broken windows" theory.

I've been told that a group from the MAST center are working with WSA and DNR to get approval for a proper rock reef similar to what they put in at Saltwater ... and that people scuttling boats and putting down other junk are only likely to be making the approval process more difficult.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

It would be nice if they/we could get a REEF built up in the barren area where the VW used to be and the small rock wall area...
"Let's go diving!"
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I personally like the sharks, they're a nice addition. I also dive frequently with a young man who has Aspberger's Syndrome, and he really enjoys going down and playing on them. I don't see a problem with them, but to each his own.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Almost any structure is better than no structure.