AL plate sizing - and other harness adjustments

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

AL plate sizing - and other harness adjustments

Post by thefeve »

Hey there,

So I found out over the last few months I have a torn rotator cuff in both of my shoulders. And, while i haven't been diving very much as of late, I'm trying to figure out some ways to improve the "ergonomics" of getting geared up. Seems like once i'm in the water, i don't have too much issue reaching my valves. However, gear up, reaching back etc to get my harness on def doesn't feel great. My AL plate I've been using on my doubles rig is a cheapo one that i recently noticed is about 2" narrower at the shoulders than my DSS steel plate. I've re-laced it with some longer webbing (the old one i got was a tad on the small side) in hopes that if i can get used to a little more room on the shoulder straps, it would ease donning/doffing. I'd also like to find another plate though that has the shoulder slots spaced a bit wider. I'm not a small guy and while 1.5-2" isn't much, I feel like it'd be worth it to see.

I'd also be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the DSS Glide harness adapter
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1340

i'm thinkin' i might be able to modify an AL plate to get it to work pretty easily. Pros/cons from anyone with experience?

I need to get the shoulders fixed, but its a LONG recovery, and we have baby #2 on the way this month, so I'm a few years out from being able to take the time to do it. So I'm just trying to get things sorted to help the problem as much as possible, and keep rehabbing them for maintenance.

Also, I'm gonna post this in both the buy/sell forum, and the gear central - mods feel free to leave it in only one if that's more appropriate.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Re: AL plate sizing - and other harness adjustments

Post by thefeve »

also - i don't know if that was a clear post - but i am looking for a different AL plate if anyone has one laying around they'd like to get rid of:)
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer