New valve.. Worth it?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ManBearPig
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

New valve.. Worth it?

Post by ManBearPig »

I'm new to diving and don't know much about the value of older gear... While amassing my gear, I was given 3 out of hydro tanks with a BCD I bought. The tanks were a AL80, a LP steel 76, and a LP steel 100. All passed hydro, but the valve on the steel 100 is shot. It's an older threaded model and my local dice shop says it will be $100 for a new valve. The tank was made in 1964. Is it worth getting this tank fixed?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425802381.736762.jpg
in the picture, it's the yellow tank on the left.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: New valve.. Worth it?

Post by ljjames »

nope.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That valve is an antique. However if you look around, You can find a better value on that valve. In fact I may have one that would fit. No reason to dump a tank that has already passed hydro.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

LJ --- curious as to why you think $100 isn't worth it for a 100 cft tank that now as a new valve?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I would need to know a lot more about the tank in question, but I still don't think that would sway my answer.

Many tanks of that era were very thin walled which translates to insanely positively buoyant, and if it were me (and keep in mind I'm perpetually on a budget) that it will be a lot more hassle than its worth to sort out. I have a couple of this era tanks of assorted sizes that kind souls have 'given' to me and with all the convolutions to make them matchy matchy buoyancy wise (clamping lead to the appropriate place, etc..) it just hasn't been worth it. Even if used as an argon bank, when you are dealing with such low pressure it isn't helpful unless you have a booster. The last tank I had like this in use we turned into an 'argon flush' tank for the dive charter boat, so that clients could do the fill-dump-fill-dump-fill-dump cycle 3 times without depleting their personal dive argon.

Of course if you are looking for a low pressure (most likely 1800-2100psi) super floaty (or super negative, who knows) steel tank with a pipe thread valve, then knock yourself out ;) I just think there are better options for spending that $100.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Those old tanks with pipe threads make really nice bells. If you're looking to get rid of it for scrap value let me know, I'd like to pick one up as a project to do with my daughter.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

is it a pipe thread valve with Teflon tape?
or is it a 3/4" neck tank with an Oring?

If its a pipe thread I wouldn't even have bothered with the hydro and (honestly) if it was hydroed through a shop they were delinquent in not advising you about just scrapping a 1/2" pipe thread. Value on that tank is negative i.e. "please haul it away"

A 3/4" oring sealed thread is "modern" and valves are way less than $100.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Peter Guy wrote:LJ --- curious as to why you think $100 isn't worth it for a 100 cft tank that now as a new valve?
In part because you have to make sure your yoke reg will fit over the knob on the top. Some yoke whips at shops wont fit. And some shops would probably look at those 51yo threads and say sorry Charlie, not going to fill that tank regardless of vip and hydro.

On craigslist the value of that tank to a knowledgeable buyer is zero. Why put $100 into it to have it still worth zero even with the new valve (which I'm not sure is even available new, possibly on the vintage/rebuilt market)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.