Wreck of the Diamond Knot

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
boydski
Submariner

Wreck of the Diamond Knot

Post by boydski »

We had exceptionally calm conditions this weekend along with very mild currents in the Straits of Juan de Fuca. This allowed us to get in four marvelous dives on one of my favorite wrecks, the Diamond Knot.

Visibility approached 80' at times (I had to keep checking the water temperature to make sure I wasn't in the tropics), and the mild currents allowed us to swim the entire wreck, which I've never been able to do before. We even managed to time the currents perfectly on three of the four dives. Of course on the "other dive", all 5 divers were blown off the wreck and had to ascend on their lift bags. But that seems to be the norm on the Diamond Knot. ](*,)

Photos from this weekends dives are posted on my web site at the Wreck of the Diamond Knot
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great pics! I love the wolfeel. Viz looks amazing. What kind of bottom time did you get? Air or mix?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Love the pics! Thanks for sharing!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Nailer99 wrote:Great pics! I love the wolfeel. Viz looks amazing. What kind of bottom time did you get? Air or mix?
Hi Nailer,

We were running bottom times of about 35 minutes and breathing old mix that was topped off with Nitrox to something resembling 28/15. Deco on Oxygen and relatively short surface intervals in order to get the second dive in before the current started howling again. :smt032
peo
Avid Diver

Post by peo »

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Great pics! What's the depth of the wreck?
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Absolutely amazing photos Scott, really incredible. Nice to finally get an idea of what the Diamond Knot is all about.

-Valerie
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

bnboly wrote:Great pics! What's the depth of the wreck?
The top of the stern section is only about 75' deep with the bottom around 120'. The bow is a bit deeper, more like 100' on top to 140' in the mud. The wreck is laying on its Starboard side and has collapsed and twisted in the middle, which can make navigation challenging.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Superb photos, Scott! I always enjoy reading your posts about your dives....

It's been years since I last dived the Diamond Knot, but I do not recall ever having the visibility on any of my dives on her that you describe in your post and show in your photos. I've had 30 feet at best.....but 80????!!!! Wow! Poseidon was smiling on you!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

What day and time did you dive it? We were there around 1:30 on Sunday and had a great dive. We figured slack was at 2:30 on Sunday but when we got there it looked slack so we just went in. Nice pictures.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

What is the best current station to use?
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Jeff Kruse wrote:What day and time did you dive it? We were there around 1:30 on Sunday and had a great dive. We figured slack was at 2:30 on Sunday but when we got there it looked slack so we just went in. Nice pictures.
Hi Jeff,

We arrived at about 10 AM on Saturday, and some friends were just finishing their dive and said it was already slack, so we geared up pretty darn fast and hopped in. On Sunday, we figured we'd try the early 10 AM time again, but the current flipped on us about 10 minutes into the dive for Mr. Toad's wild ride. By 11 it was flat calm again and the grappel line was completely verticle when we jumped in at about 11:30.

I think slack usually happens off of tongue point about 90 minutes before slack at Angeles Point, but its hard to predict. I noticed the Current prediction for Angeles Point on Sunday shows slack water at 12:47 and max current at 12:51. \:D/ Not much of a window on that prediction!
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I think we saw you driving back to PA just past Bachlor Rock around 1pm.

Good dive.

Thanks.

Jeff
CBFin
Just Settling In

Post by CBFin »

That was my first dive on the Knot and after all the stories I've heard, we couldn't have had better conditions. It was actually a contingency plan for us. We were diving out at Neah Bay and the vis dropped drastically as a murky brown layer moved in and down. Rather than try it again on Sunday, Jeff suggested that we try the Knot instead. To say that I was excited would be a severe understatement. :prayer:

All I really remember about the weekend were two first time dives for me. My first dive of the weekend was at Duncan Rock, and my last was dive was on the Diamond Knot. Both were under stellar conditions and fantastic dives. Everything in between was just a blur. Excellent call Jeff.

-Chris
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

And I was worried no one would want to dive the knot. :smt038 You guys looked great in the water. :supz: I wish we could get a relativly accurate current prediction for this site. I think we through a hail Mary and it just happened to work out for us. :wav:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Sounds like you had a great time, Chris! I haven't seen you on line for a while. Lets get together and dive sometime soon.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Shawn
Just Settling In

Post by Shawn »

Sunday truly was a great dive on the Knot. There wasn't much current to speak of and vis was pretty good. The only bummers were the flooded computer and I didn't get to swim with the Pacific Whitesides Dolphin like the first trip to the Knot. Next visit to the Diamond Knot will be the brewery in Mukilteo!

Shawn
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CBFin wrote:All I really remember about the weekend were two first time dives for me. My first dive of the weekend was at Duncan Rock, and my last was dive was on the Diamond Knot. Both were under stellar conditions and fantastic dives. Everything in between was just a blur. Excellent call Jeff.

-Chris
Dude, I am so envious ... those are both sites I have never done. Made arrangements to do them both (Duncan Rock multiple times), and always ended up getting cancelled for one reason or another.

Some day ... (he says, wistfully) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)