40th bday trip ideas

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

40th bday trip ideas

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

So next year I am hitting the big 40!
I am wanting to do a trip with diving in it that my wife can also do. She is a warm water diver only and enjoys it but doesn't love diving. She wants to do some warm water dives but also other fun stuff. 3-4 days of diving than anything else.

Ideas we had so far was the Great Barrier Reef.....or maybe Red sea. Any other ideas from people?

We are open.....my ideal time would be end of Aug 2015 so I can be "wet" on my 40th...but open to other times of year.

Any thoughts?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: 40th bday trip ideas

Post by Jeff Pack »

Cayman, Fiji, Truk, there's a list as long as yer arm...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My first big dive trip was to Australia, and it was wonderful. There is obviously a TON for people to do on land, and we enjoyed all of it, and the laid-back Aussie attitude, where everyone seemed to have time to talk to us. We didn't dive the GBR, though -- we dove Byron Bay, which was fabulous. I would love to go back.

If you don't want to go so far, though, the Riviera Maya in Mexico is delightful. You have the beautiful white beaches and turquoise water, but also the Mayan ruins, and a well-developed tourist industry with jungle tours, nighttime shows, and shopping. There are very reasonable all-inclusive resorts, and the diving can be quite good. We ran a trip to Puerto Aventuras last December with both divers and non-divers, and everybody had a ball. In fact, more than half the folks that came are coming back with us this year, so I guess that says something about the place as a mixed-use destination.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Fiji, not Truk for a casual diver. Fiji is a non stop flight from LAX, easy and beautiful. Chill diving that will blow her mind with the top side beauty to match. Try Taveuni island aka the garden island. Very romantic.

Truk is an amazing dive location, but it's a bitch to get to and a hell hole on land. Live Aboard is the only way to go there as well.
Sam's Place & Barracuda Reef-63.jpg
Dave
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Thanks for all the input....and ways Dave awesome pics!
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Alaska....Hands down..
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

Palau is also a great location. Getting there takes a day, but it's easily done. Palau Pacific Resort is very nice, with good snorkeling right off the beach, and some interesting land tours to be had.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tons to do in Hawaii for the non-diver ... particularly in Maui.

Going to Fiji for the first time next month, but from what I've seen of Bega Lagoon it's paradise ... whether you're diving or not ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/