Redondo 4/27 - New Encounter

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Redondo 4/27 - New Encounter

Post by Scubie Doo »

Well, I headed out to Redondo last night and stumbled across a new encounter (for me). I am sure others have seen this before, but I was pretty stoked to be able to witness this event. I am sure everyone is familiar with the common Spotted Aglajid. They are very common at many of the Puget Sound dive sites. However, I notice several on the rope (to the VW) yesterday. I saw one that looked like it was giving birth. I watched and studied it for a few minutes because I wasn't sure what I was seeing. I snapped a couple photos to capture the moment. To my left I notice several white globs, I wasn't sure what they were at first. However, I then noticed a Spotted Aglajid inside one of the globs. I suspect that the first shots are mating, while the third is releasing eggs.

The Stubbies are also out in full force. I put together a sequence shot with varying saturation to make the photo stand out.

Hope you all have a nice week!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo 4/27 - New Encounter

Post by WylerBear »

Very cool!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Great shots !
The first two shots are slugs "trailing" quite common sight with other local species, especially dorids.
http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/trailing

The third is indeed laying eggs. :supz:

Here is some "extreme trailing" by Bubble shell slugs :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Ha! I knew you would have some cool info on this Jan. Thanks. It's funny to think about the things that make me happy underwater. I tried to explain the coolness to my family and they said, "that looks like a regular slug, so what?"
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Spotted aglajids were common at Redondo until a few years ago ... I have several pics of them that I took there up until about 2010, when they suddenly disappeared from the site.

Redondo used to host many different types of nudis that are no longer seen there. I don't know why, although I suspect the road work they did a few years back just dumped so much stormwater into the site that it changed the water salinity enough to drive certain species out of the area. It's possible you're seeing them now because we've had such a dry spring ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/