Solmar V vs. Rocio Del Mar vs. Nautilus Explorer

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Solmar V vs. Rocio Del Mar vs. Nautilus Explorer

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Anybody? Thoughts???
Jenn
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Solmar V vs. Rocio Del Mar vs. Nautilus Explorer

Post by fmerkel »

Interesting question, especially if anyone has been on all of them. I've only done the Explorer and only up in Canada. Great boat, well run. Probably the most expensive, but I don't know that.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

The only liveaboard I have done is the Rocio del Mar - did the 10 day trip from north to south on the Sea of Cortez last November. They did a fantastic job and the boat is great - our entire group had a great trip. I will be going to the Socorros with them.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We did the Socorros on the RDM. I have NOTHING but good things to say about the boat. The cabins are roomy enough (and the ones with single bunks are laid out nicely to maximize floor space). The dive deck works efficiently. The food was fantastic. The crew was absolutely fabulous -- competent, efficient, and super friendly. They work all day at various jobs, and remain cheerful and sociable throughout. We have been trying very hard to set up another trip on the boat, because we liked it so much . . . but apparently we aren't the only ones, because it books up well in advance.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I did a 10 day circumnavigation trip of Vancouver Island on the Nautilus Explorer a few years ago. The Explorer is a great boat and Mike Lever runs a really good operation.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Thanks all! I've been on the Nautilus when it was up in BC/Alaska, and it was great. We're looking to do something for my big 5-0 in 2017, so we're starting to explore options now. I've been wanting to do the great whites, which all 3 boats do. I'm trying to decide if the $ is worth the trip. While great whites sound awesome--not sure if it would get kind of boring with only that as an option. Apparently, the Nautilus will actually let you venture out of the cage........hmmmm!
Jenn
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Mike Lever let you out with great whites!?!?
Now THAT would be some kind of change of heart!
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Quote from the website:

"Picture it - crystal clear water,calm and sheltered, two cages submersed at 40 feet, one cage suspended at 15 feet and one cage just below the surface - the opportunity for diving is virtually unlimited! Feeling brave? You can even get out from behind the bars under the watchful eyes of our divemasters."

I'm sure they wouldn't let you venture far. HA!
Jenn