Weighting Question

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Wolver
Getting To Know Folks

Weighting Question

Post by Wolver »

Typically, how much more weight is needed when going from fresh to salt water? I have been diving 20 lbs with a steel hp130 in fresh cold water with a 7ml farmer john. My wing has a 34 lb lift. I am basically wondering if I need a bigger wing for cold salt water or not. It seems like it might be really close to my max lift for my wing. What say you? Thanks.

Ryan
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Weighting Question

Post by Desert Diver »

If your wing has 34lb lift in fresh water it will have about 2 1/2% more lift in salt water. And your total body and equipment weight will be 2 1/2% more too with the extra 2 1/2% being lead.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You only need enough lift to compensate for 1) the weight of the gas (about 8lbs) and 2) the compression of the suit (roughly 10 to 15lbs assuming you aren't taking it to 180ft)

34lbs is fine although a weight check when the tank is empty can easily confirm and put you at ease.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

my singles is a 35# wing (DSS) with a HP130 in salt... works great
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Ryan,

Just to confirm, my weight requirements are about the same as yours for wet diving. I looked at my notes, looks like I used 28 lbs for my first wet dives in class, but that is always over weighted. I haven't dove around here wet since I first learned. With my drysuit when I was first learning I used 34 lbs and a steel 119. Since then, I have dropped it down to 26 lbs as I learned to better manage and streamline my rig.

So, when I was first learning wet I was diving a jacket style bcd, 28 lbs, 7mm farmer john on an al 80.

I added a drysuit and went to about 34 lbs to 38 when I was using ankle weights, got my own steel 119 tank.

Now, I am diving a DSS Torus wing (sounds like the same one you have) with an AL backplate on a Scubapro XTec harness. I use a DUI weight harness. Still drysuit, with lots of lofty undergarments because I hate being cold, neoprene socks and overshoes. Steel 119 tank. If I go to fresh water, I usually take 6 lbs off and that seems about right. If I go to an AL 80 tank then I add about 6 lbs to compensate for positive buoyancy of the tank at the end.

I don't know if that helps, but I thought it might be useful to you. The DSS guy, Tobin, is an expert on weighting. Don't hesitate to call them and ask for some advice too, when I called I got more info than I remember now, but he was a great wealth of knowledge!

Now, if I could just take 26 lbs off my ass as easily as it comes off of my harness!