Diver Missing Near Cape Flattery

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Re: Diver Missing Near Cape Flattery

Post by Diver_C »

Not believable. Shocked! Sitting here dumbfounded. She'll be found. She has the skills to survive this, and be found.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

!!! :( :( :( Hoping they find her... hang in there sweet Lynne!!

So sorry, buddies and husband. :( If there's anything at all we can do let us know!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

Never met lynne before but I do care that no one shod go like that so Im hoping for the best
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Post by Huskychemist »

Sending love and positive thoughts from here!
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Oh no... I got to dive with Lynne a couple of times, I truly hope she holds on somehow and am sending the best vibes and thoughts to both of you.

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Lynne and Peter are kind and patient mentors in our local dive community with a wealth of experience and training. I have learned so much from them, and they are quite literally the last people I thought this could happen to. I can only imagine how difficult the conditions must have been yesterday for them to become separated. Both are very active, healthy, and knowledgeable. This just reminds me that every diver must be prepared for the worst at all times because even those with the most experience and training can experience tragedy.

These are divers who never take their equipment or conditions for granted. They consistently implement every safety check before, during, and after diving. They practice the hard stuff that we all don't like to--sharing air, dropping weights, dealing with emergencies. Hell, Lynne is even an ER doctor. I know that she can stay calm in the face of an emergency.

Today I pray for these dear and kind people, and dearly wish I could be of support and help today. Words cannot express the loss and grief I feel at this moment, and my heart aches for Peter, imagining what he must be going through.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Such sad news..... I'm so sorry.
Dan Hershman :smt024
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Coast Guard update, Wednesday morning, about 24 hours after she was reported missing.
Lynne was equipped with a safety sausage and what would appear to be a Nautilus Lifeline as well.
Still holding out hope, had many friends go missing off Duncan rock only to be found much later, miles away.

http://d13.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2588826/
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

From http://d13.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2589150/

COAST GUARD SUSPENDS SEARCH FOR MISSING DIVER NEAR CAPE FLATTERY

SEATTLE — The Coast Guard suspended the active search for a female diver who went missing off Duncan Rock near Cape Flattery, Wednesday evening.

The search was suspended at about 5:30 p.m., after crews aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Swordfish, MH-65 Dolphin helicopters, from Air Station Port Angeles, and boatcrews aboard a 47-foot Motor Life Boat and 29-foot Response Boat-Small II, from Station Neah Bay, conducted 24 searches over more than 30 hours.

Coast Guard crews searched more than 1,200 trackline miles and 290 square miles during search efforts. Aircrew personnel from the Canadian Coast Guard also assisted in the search.

“The decision to suspend a search is extremely difficult and our thoughts are with the missing person and her family at this time,” said Michael D. McKiernan, command duty officer Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound.

The search began at about 11:25 a.m., Tuesday. Information about the initial notification and continued search efforts can be found in previous news releases.

The Coast Guard suspends a search and rescue case with great care and deliberation. After a probable search area is saturated with maximum number of assets and crew effort, and the person is not located, the decision is made to suspend an active search.

The Coast Guard can resume an active search if credible information is received regarding the missing person’s whereabouts.
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »