sailing

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
kwbyron
Aquaphile

sailing

Post by kwbyron »

Anyone a sailor? Not the NAVY kind, but like recreational. My wife and want to move onto a live aboard for a few years before we have kids and I want to learn to sail. I have capsized my share of catamarans on Lake Travis in Austin, TX. and played in those bathtub sized boats, but want to learn something a little bigger. Chicago Naval base had a charter class for 19' boats for like $100 and would rent the boats for a ridiculously low price, but they don't do that on NAVSTA Everett and we left there before I had the chance (well the lake was frozen most the time we were there). Is that something available in the "civilian" world? My uncle did a class to charter <60' boats, but it was several grand to do (did include a week of training in the keys though.....) I just want something I could do to try it out.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I had quite a bit of sailing experience back in the '90's ... was part owner of a J-36 racer/cruiser back in Massachusetts for about 10 years.

Make yourself available to crew for folks who race ... you'll learn sailing. Don't expect to get on any of the "hot" boats, but people are always struggling to find crew and they're willing to train people who can show up regularly.

Hang out at Shilshole ... or post a "crew available" notice on the bulletin board ... you'll most likely find someone who'll take you out and show you the ropes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Bob's advice is good, or you can take a sailing class. Shilshole clubs have various levels. It will probably take you years to get liveaboard moorage anywhere though. And you'll need to have the boat all that time in a non-liveaboard slip waiting for the right opening.

Richard
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

UW has a "yacht club" for staff, alumni, students, and they may allow a few general public in here and there. If you've got connections to the UW, check that too. They've got their own boats that you can borrow, some for multi-day excursions and they do all their own teaching and training. It's a really good group. :salute:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

Thanks for the tips, we are thinking for my wife's next duty station(she is a sailor, but on a little bit bigger of a boat), which will be in a year or so. The time for a liveaboard slip, is that due to waitlists, or sailing experiance? Bob, do I just hang out at the marina, like is there a bar where someone comes in and says "Arrr, I need a crew. we be sailing at daybreak."?
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

kwbyron wrote:Thanks for the tips, we are thinking for my wife's next duty station(she is a sailor, but on a little bit bigger of a boat), which will be in a year or so. The time for a liveaboard slip, is that due to waitlists, or sailing experiance? Bob, do I just hang out at the marina, like is there a bar where someone comes in and says "Arrr, I need a crew. we be sailing at daybreak."?
No ... there is a bulletin board. Make up a "crew available" sign. Indicate your actual experience and a desire to learn. Perhaps even include a short explanation of why you want to learn. Post it on the bulletin board. People are always looking for willing hands ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

This is my 4th year as crew on a 42 foot boat out of Tacoma for racing in South Sound. We got started by showing up with our gear on race night and offering to crew. It worked well.

You might try to get in contact the yacht club or marina office at Shilshole for info.

Jackie
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

A friend of mine has been taking the Power Sqadron sailing classes which he says are great.
Sudie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sudie »

we race and cruise all around the puget sound, and if you are interested in filling in boat time until you have your own let me know. We selectively look for crew that might enjoy racing. We do buoy, distance, and ocean racing. Basically if it has a start gun, we are there.

Sudie