Les Davis 9-12-15

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Les Davis 9-12-15

Post by dwashbur »

I went out with Tami, Kathy, and Paul. We entered the water around 9:30 AM, and it was so mucky we couldn't see to put our fins on. There were several classes out there so that may have had something to do with it. This was Tami's first time back in the water since she got cleared to dive again, so we were careful to stay at or above 60 feet just to be cautious. We dropped in 21 feet of soup. We actually had to hold hands to go down, and I started getting a little vertigo even so. Below about 25 feet the viz opened up a bit, but it was never great. Still, we had a good dive. On our way out I spotted the biggest pile perch I have ever seen. These guys are usually down in the 2 inch range; this guy was at least 6 inches or more. Further on, Kathy and I both saw a kelp perch of the same gigantic size. But the find of the day, which went to me for a change, was a great big decorated warbonnet. None of us could get a good focus on him since he was so far back in this hole, and this is the best Kathy could get. My camera was having issues and none of my pictures came out decent.
warbonnet.jpg
But the most exciting find of the day was Tami's. She found this little guy, healthy and busy and doing his thing. I like to call this picture "Hope."
little star.jpg
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Les Davis 9-12-15

Post by ScubaJess »

Great pictures! It's always nice to see baby stars! I saw a few healthy looking seastars today at the Alki Junkyard with Tangfish. :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Cool shot of the baby sun!

I hear ya on the viz today - I was paddling around in Commencement Bay near the river mouth and it was either green soup or chocolate milk all day. Fun day kayaking and fishing, not so good on the catching...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Touching and stressing it might not be the best idea. Just saying...
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option