bottle fields?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
mjbickford
Frequent Bubbler

bottle fields?

Post by mjbickford »

A coworker broke a bottle I brought up this summer. Now I have an urge to find a few more, older, cooler bottles.

I know of Redondo, Mukilteo, and port Townsend. Those are all pretty deep to spend any significant time searching. I have heard there is a field near keystone, but have no more info on it.

are there any shallower fields to search, and any fields in south sound?

MB
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: bottle fields?

Post by Jeremy »

mjbickford wrote:A coworker broke a bottle I brought up this summer. Now I have an urge to find a few more, older, cooler bottles.

I know of Redondo, Mukilteo, and port Townsend. Those are all pretty deep to spend any significant time searching. I have heard there is a field near keystone, but have no more info on it.

are there any shallower fields to search, and any fields in south sound?

MB
Titlow has a field to the northwest of the pilings. TTN has a field north of the cabin cruiser and west of the satellite dish area.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

There are several spots along Ruston Way in Tacoma that might still yield nice finds in the 60-80' range. We've even found a few old medicine bottles and such just to th right of the Les Davis fishing pier.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I second Ruston Way.

This Winter I'd hit the water after Storms. Stuff does get stirred up.

Port Townsend also has bottle fields.

Anyplace there have been docks for a long time will turn up finds from time to time.

The best hunting at TTN seems to be deeper - less picked over. Or see my above comment about storms.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

You can find some pretty good stuff off Port Townsend in the 40'-50' range, just time the current correctly. I've found bottles, china plates, even an old ink well.

60South is the guy for that area, unfortunately he now resides in Colorado.

X3 on the Ruston Way waterfront. We've found quite a few old bottles out there. Mostly in the 70'-80' range, though I did find a cool one in 25' siting right on top of the sand a month or two ago.

A couple buddies and I dive there most Weds. evenings if you want to splash with us.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Titlow has a field to the northwest of the pilings.
How far out is it from the pilings?

I've found a couple single bottles out there, but have not seen many.
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Lake Washington had some good fields
-Erika
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Duwamish Head by the old Luna Park pier has a bottle field but its not easy pickings
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

Echo wrote:Lake Washington had some good fields
Where?
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Jump on Alaska Air and stop in to Sitka we have some great bottle fields you might have to wrestle with SitkaDiver and Diver Dave for the really really good ones but I am sure they would share
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

And at this point you really have to sift
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

xBabyJesus wrote:
Echo wrote:Lake Washington had some good fields
Where?
Wherever the mosquito fleet docked
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

CaptnJack wrote:Duwamish Head by the old Luna Park pier has a bottle field but its not easy pickings
That's how I got hooked! Then I started Kayak diving out there and got yelled at a little by the coast guard. Then I just tied off the kayak to the marker and was fine.