Galloping Gertie footage wanted

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
stillhope
Avid Diver

Galloping Gertie footage wanted

Post by stillhope »

I'm doing a series of presentations like the one shown in the attached poster. The topic is the interconnectedness of our local ecosystem, including our human impact. I'm illustrating the topic with some underwater and above-water video from my archives as well as video and photos from other sources. One of the things I'm including as an illustration is Galloping Gertie. I got some footage of the bridge breaking up from Internet Archive. I'm looking for some underwater footage of the remains of the bridge, showing both structure and the artificial reef aspect. I'll use probably 30 to 60 seconds.

This is a community service effort, I'm not making anything from it, so I'm looking for someone to donate footage. If you have some footage that matches what I'm looking for, please contact me ASAP.

Thanks!
Attachments
FOMB poster.jpg
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Galloping Gertie footage wanted

Post by Linedog »

Do you want footage from the bridge parts that are in the Narrows or the rubble disposed of by Les Davis?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
stillhope
Avid Diver

Post by stillhope »

Thanks Linedog for the question. Mainly I'm looking for footage of bridge parts that are still where they fell. Around the turn of the century, before the newest bridge was under construction, I spoke with a guy who was filming there, but I've since forgotten his name. I just did some googling, and it might have been someone from SCRET. I got the impression that people did occasionally dive the remains back then, so I'm hoping that someone has some old footage.

That said, the rubble that's been moved to Les Davis is also part of the story, so I could indeed use a little of that...especially a shot that shows pieces that look like they were part of a bridge, if that's possible.....and a shot showing the life around the artificial reef.
Thanks!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Bdub has a small amount of footage from our dive on Gertie a few years ago, but I don't think its production quality. Its a difficult full trimix dive in the 140 to 180ft range with a very limited number of do-able days per year - hence the limited number of videos out there.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I might have some still photos of some wreckage, but not any video footage.