ThThTh 1/7 Report

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

ThThTh 1/7 Report

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy
Five of us showed up for ThThTh at TTN tonight...

Gdog, ScubaJess, H2O doc, stphnmartin and myself. Beer and food after! What a great way to start the year!

Lots of critters big and small. I'll let others tell the story about the biggy.

Here were some of my snaps:
There were lots of swimming anemones (and a few leather stars)
There were lots of swimming anemones (and a few leather stars)
A kelp nest!
A kelp nest!
I found a couple pink mouth hydroids.  This is not a great PMH shot, but I uploaded it to show what look like cool little amphipod nests growing on the stem
I found a couple pink mouth hydroids. This is not a great PMH shot, but I uploaded it to show what look like cool little amphipod nests growing on the stem
A kelp nest!
A kelp nest!
Have a great weekend!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: ThThTh 1/7 Report

Post by ScubaJess »

Great shots YellowEye!
It was so much fun diving with you guys last night. You have the best macro eyes. It's very impressive!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Awesome!!! What was the "Biggy"?
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Yes, really great dive. Was wonderful seeing everyone and great fun. I have a few decent clips of video I may get around to posting. :-)

Nice work YellowEye. I think a prescription mask will really help me be able to find those tiny things you're highly attuned to. Or, I'll have to ask you to point them out. :-)
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

The biggy was a grey and black spotted seal that dove with us from the time we splashed to the exit. He was playing with his food, chasing small fish all around. I had macro and he was always in motion so no shots from me, but H2O Doc has video of it. Stephen may have some video of it too. The seal was enjoying our lights for his fishing fun. I could have hugged him a few times, he was so close.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

I didn't get video of the seal. I was in macro mode and kept thinking I should switch over but regrettably never did.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Yeah seems like I always have exactly the wrong lens every time!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great shots Eric! I don't know how you get the shots up so fast. I won't even get to see my shots til tonite
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Guys!
Happy Friday! :eric: :partydance: :taco:
Here are a few of my snaps from last night! 3 Tree is always full of magical treasures! So many really neat looking shrimp and tiny hermit crabs out last night! :pirate:
Can't wait to see H2ODr video. :popcorn: :supz:
Attachments
I only saw one curious Octo but he really liked the camera and we had a bit of a staring contest. I think he won. :)
I only saw one curious Octo but he really liked the camera and we had a bit of a staring contest. I think he won. :)
This mighty tiny hermit crab was riding the Kelp around in the current.
This mighty tiny hermit crab was riding the Kelp around in the current.
A really funny active shrimp! He was running all over the place.
A really funny active shrimp! He was running all over the place.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Nice enough work Jess!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

What a Great night to be at the Three Tree North last night..... the drive down from Lake stevens went very smooth with only a couple of Bumps of traffic coming down through seattle.... I arrived at about 6 ish and Gdog was already there getting gear assembled and ready for the dive, Stephn was next to arrive , and then Yellow Eye , and Scuba Jess.... It was my first time Meeting Stephn and it was really Great to see his camera set up and how he films underwater.. i have always Liked His underwater videos and the way He shoots them , because its a different style from the way i produce and edit film...So it was really a good time talking and picking up pointers.... with The weezles Donned ..Scuba Jess Lover Her weezy ... :taco: we headed down to the water and walked to the antler house for the dive plan.... there was a swift surface current and during the whole dive we pretty much had a south bound Flow, it was moving , but it wasn't to strong... I would put the Viz at 20 feet maybe better, it was pretty clear last night.. Hit a tire pile saw a bunch of small school of shiner Perch... and as i was watching them Here comes the crazy teenaged Seal , diving and swimming after a midnight snack... The seal wasn't an adult, but a very swift and fast youngster enjoying the light show to feed on Helpless perch... for Most of the Dive the seal was Hunting and on several occasions it brushed me with no fear of being close to a diver... Buzzing and Hunting throughout the dive it was really enjoyable to experience the seal and see it hunt around us ...I would never complain about seeing a seal on a dive because they are stirring up and silting out the Place ... HA HA HA HA :bounceline:
We were around 65 to 80 feet during the dive and My shearwater was Getting down to my NDL limit and i was watching Gdog off to my left taking pictures and it was funny cause i kept thinking to my self ?? how is he staying below me and not hitting deco ..???? WHat the Heck .... Voodoo Gas ? .... super Mix of air from Am Pm, 4 quarters in the tire Machine ...? No ..... dam Nitrox ..... LOL :steamingears: It was totally funny after the dive talking to him and me being so dumb about not figuring it out ....
So anyway by the time we hit the golf ball boat it was time to shallow up for me .... but another pleasant surprise .... a small Skate comes swimming By and has a look around , and then straight up into the water column... That was Very very cool...
Out of the water ... Cold crisp winter air in our lungs , the night sky was lit up with stars.... And we all had a nice dive experiencing our local puget sound site.... Up the Hill to the Pub for good food , Brew , and dive stories ....

Image3.jpg
Image4.jpg
Image6.jpg
Image7.jpg
Image9.jpg
Image10.jpg
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great report h2odoc!
stphnmartin wrote:I think a prescription mask will really help me be able to find those tiny things you're highly attuned to. Or, I'll have to ask you to point them out. :-)
Happy to point out the PMH's to anyone. You sort of have to know what to look for and where.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounds like a fabulous ThThTh!!

Great to hear from the Doc - love the screen grabs and looking forward to the video.

Really looking forward to when my schedule allows me to join you again.

Thanks for the great reports!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Oh -- And great pics Scuba Jess! Good lighting, nice subjects! Great diving with you!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Nice report and screen cap H2O Doc! I don't get to see myself underwater very often. And, also nice to finally meet in person. Seeing the skate in the water column was really cool. I've never seen one shoot up like that.

I will take you up on that YellowEye.

Nice pics Jess. Cool you got to see the lone (living) octo of the night.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

A skate! Hell yeah. He was welcoming h2o back!!!!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

What a great trip recap H20Dr! You're so cool! It was a great night!
Want to go see the Sea Spiders at Junk Yard this weekend? Yelloweye says tomorrow morning's tides look pretty good between 9-12 :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Here are some screen caps from my video.
Sailfin sculpin eye
Sailfin sculpin eye
Tiny hermit
Tiny hermit
Gunnel closeup
Gunnel closeup
The circle of life
The circle of life
Dinner time
Dinner time
Food fight!
Food fight!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Cool Pics Stephen! :)
Those crabs look pretty happy with their feast!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

Wow, I'm totally jealous that I couldn't make it last Thursday! Between the pix and the text you guys covered the dive thoroughly. Just need Gdog to recap the time at Elliott Bay Brewery :partydance:

I hope to see you all next week. The tides look good for Redondo on the 14th.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

So Elliot Bay was exceptional as usual. Johnny waited on us. The ales were tasty and cold. My steak skewer salad was bomb, tho the steak didn't show up medium rare as ordered. Conversation was lively and fun. Only thing that could have made it better was a few more of us in the vacant seats.... You know who you are.