Low exchange weekend?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Furnari
Aquaphile

Low exchange weekend?

Post by Furnari »

A few of us are coming up from Oregon and thinking about some of the sites around the Narrows- Day Island, Titlow, Fox Island, etc. Although we've never dove these sites, we are experienced divers and are comfortable in challenging conditions. Our take is that they'll probably be diveable until late afternoon because of what we looks like a mild exchange. Your thoughts?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Low exchange weekend?

Post by Penopolypants »

It's a moderately low exchange in the morning, but that just means that all of those sites can (maybe) be done at slack for that specific site. Mainly because they don't have a true "slack", they just slow down a little more than usual for a little while. So plan carefully, don't expect to hop in and out whenever.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Yes, a relatively low exchange simply means that these sites are dive-able at the right time. At other times the current is too fast.
A few of us with the Moss Bay club will be diving Day Island wall on Sunday morning. We plan to enter prior to the slack before flood and let the current drift us up the north wall before it reverses and carries us back to our entry point.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Furnari, you should post the exact site you want to dive so people on the board can help with times to splash and corrections. Some sites require a splash as much as 1-2 hours before slack (i.e. Fox island bridge). There are several board members that have really good corrections for the sites you mention.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was wondering if we still needed to aim for slack or if the low exchange means they're diveable for a longer period of time. Sounds like slack only...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Yeah, but they are worth it! You can always do a second dive at Fox Island West Wall, Les Davis, Redondo, etc.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Furnari wrote:Thanks for the replies. I guess I was wondering if we still needed to aim for slack or if the low exchange means they're diveable for a longer period of time. Sounds like slack only...
Even on a low exchange day DIW, Fox Island East and Bridge, Titlow can be very difficult if your timing is off. This is why I mentioned the corrections. Depending on the conditions we have hit Fox Island Bridge and DIW on the same day. I would hit up mpenders via PM. That guy has tide corrections down on the sites I have mentioned and they are both beautiful dives.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Titlow, Fox Island Bridge, and Fox Island E. Wall are all well listed and described in NW Shore Dives. It would be reasonable to start with those for a number of dives until you figure out current timing. All are good dives.
Your statement [Our take is that they'll probably be diveable until late afternoon because of what we looks like a mild exchange.] makes it clear you have some learning to do about current sites and timing. The following could happen to you.

I did Day Island a few years back. Getting there an hour before splash a diver came out of the water!!?? When I inquired how his dive was, he indicated he got his butt kicked. Asked about a buddy he said he did have one but lost him early due to the current. More questions showed he was an OR diver, tired of Sund Rock, and thought they could do DIW. Not having current corrections they used Fox Is. E. Wall figuring it was just across from Day Island. Some things are learned through mistakes but this could have been a serious mistake. They were lucky.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Fritz also has a nice tide program...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Mr.Grumpy at Day Island is not gonna be happy when he sees how many folks are showing up to visit him this weekend!
-Erika
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

h20doctor wrote:Fritz also has a nice tide program...
+1
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Thanks- glad I asked.