Schrader valve cores

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Schrader valve cores

Post by CaptnJack »

Does anyone know where I can easily find some spare schrader valve cores for the ends of BC hoses and the like?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Re: Schrader valve cores

Post by mpenders »

Pep Boys, NAPA, or the like? Maybe Les Schwab? I'd figure that just about any tire shop should have them.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Are they stainless at an auto shop?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Don't know, but not sure that it matters. Are BC hose connections made of stainless, or brass? I thought it was the latter.

I understood that the schrader valves for BC's were the same as used for tires. There may be certain items that do require a larger valve, which are sized to fit industrial tires.

Pep boys carries a package of valve cores, branded by Slime. They are silver in appearance, but there's no mention of what metals they are made of.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Jack, I can get you as many as you want. Let me know. I live in Olympia
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mpenders wrote:Don't know, but not sure that it matters. Are BC hose connections made of stainless, or brass? I thought it was the latter.

I understood that the schrader valves for BC's were the same as used for tires. There may be certain items that do require a larger valve, which are sized to fit industrial tires.

Pep boys carries a package of valve cores, branded by Slime. They are silver in appearance, but there's no mention of what metals they are made of.
I'm not so concerned about BC hoses, but the same core is used in the diluent add valve on my Meg and I wanted a couple spares for my save a dive box.
Gdog wrote:Jack, I can get you as many as you want. Let me know. I live in Olympia
Cool thank you. Sent you a msg
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I don't know if this is important in your application, but schrader cores are made with different compounds in their sealing gaskets, different flow rates etc. In my previous life we had to use the manufacturers replacement to make things work right. I wouldn't think flow rate would be a big deal, and if the only thing contacting the seal is air, it shouldn't be any different than a tire valve.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I need to take the one in there out and compare.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Schrader valves have gone thru changes as well with the advent of nitrogen filled tires, and aluminum alloy tpms valves stems. For our purposes, the brass colored valves are not desirable. The ones to use are the silver colored valves. They are the ones I have given to divers over the years.